[Metrology] Touchdro - Controller - Glass Scales

DC11 is listed as 1 micron scale, DC11 is 5 micron, but seems there are different variations for each model. They seem to be decent glass scales, there is a YouTube video on cutting the glass scales.
DC10 Normal linear scale resolution(um): 10, 5, 1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1 reading length 30-1000mm
DC10F Slim linear scale resolution(um): 5, 1, 0.5 reading length 30-600mm
DC20 Large-linear scale resolution(um): 5, 1, 0.5 reading length 1000-3000mm

The quality seems very good from a visual inspection. The accuracy i obviously dont know yet. Even all the mount brackets that come with it aren't to bad. Good enough to use for my install. Actually they look like they will be perfect for my colchester.
I got a slim line 1 micron for the cross slide and a standard 5 micron for the saddle.

This is from Ditron & just for reference. I copied it from an email I received.

here i quote for your reference .
linear scale DC11 125mm 5um 69USD/piece
linear scale DC11 175mm 5um 69USD/piece
linear scale DC10 400mm 5um 63USD/piece
linear scale DC10 400mm 5um 63USD/piece
linear scale DC10 550mm 5um 67USD/piece
linear scale DC10 800mm 5um 67USD/piece
linear scale DC10 1100mm 5um 76USD/piece

This doesn't consider shipping or banking fees. I also don't know the difference between DC10 & DC11.

These prices are better than I've seen. What website or store are they from?
Thanks

Hi Yuri, i have all the components that are on your site to build a quadrature Dro, just havent had time to build. I also have the Ditron glass scales. In your post you mention using 74HC244 IC? I havent got these as I didnt think Id need anything other than the voltage divider circuit for the 5v signals in? Should i build the voltage shifter circuit with the "comparitors"?........ I think that is what they are .

Thanks Ben
There are two different ways to build the controller for use with glass scales. The mixed scale version uses a comparator as he described in this post. The quad version uses the voltage divider. If you are using all glass scales voltage dividers are fine. If you want to use a mix of scales you will need the comparator he just mentioned.

These prices are better than I've seen. What website or store are they from?
Thanks
These are from the manufacturer. These are not the best prices I've found but these are the Ditron scales that most people seem to be seeking. I've had very little communication with Ditron. They are the first company I tried to contact but were the last ones to respond. I had already agreed to buy from another company before I heard from them.

There is several different scales out there. They look the same at first glance but there is a grate range to the differences. I've looked at so many & asked so many questions they started to make my head hurt. Lol

These are from the manufacturer. These are not the best prices I've found but these are the Ditron scales that most people seem to be seeking. I've had very little communication with Ditron. They are the first company I tried to contact but were the last ones to respond. I had already agreed to buy from another company before I heard from them.

Would you mind sharing where you found the best price and where you eventually purchased your scales from?

Well the ones I decided to go with is:

Changchun Rongde Optics Co., Ltd
No.816-2, Pudong Road, Economic Development District,130033 Changchun, China

Tel: 86-431-81856009 | Fax: 86-431-85256892 | Mobile: 86-18744019601(Whats App)

QQ: 1575487776 | Skype: angelajia1991
angelajia@roundss.com.cn
--------
They still aren't the cheapest but they were the cheapest for what appeared to be the best quality.

I ended up with scales of a better resolution for about $10 less then the ones quoted here. I didn't ask Ditron to quote any others since I'd already agreed to buy elsewhere.

There are two different ways to build the controller for use with glass scales. The mixed scale version uses a comparator as he described in this post. The quad version uses the voltage divider. If you are using all glass scales voltage dividers are fine. If you want to use a mix of scales you will need the comparator he just mentioned.
Thanks.

IMG_20160609_170517.jpg Well i have fitted the Ditron scales and built the controller but after 4 different attempts to get a bluetooth adapter that would work i gave up and bought the assembled board. Best thing ever, wired up the dsub connectors got power onto it and worked straight away. Currently only using Yuri's suggestions for counts per inch. Quickly tested against my dial indicator. Perfect to .01mm. Extremely happy. And the Ditrons mounted up real nice too on the colchester.

Back