Track saw vs tablesaw

Buy a cordless track saw. Preferably one that uses the festool/Makita tracks. Both those cordless saws are great. If you need to break down full sheets a 5' and 9' track are required and the makita ones are way cheaper for the same thing. Joining tracks is a time suck, and negatively affects the results. You will not regret it even if you sometimes need a TS as well.

By way of experience: i run a professional woodworking shop with lots of complex shop and site work of all sorts. I use a 10' sliding TS, a industrial TS, jobsite TS (if i have to) and four different track saws all the time. On site i essentially never use a circular saw, and rarely a table saw. If you are mostly breaking down sheet goods the track saw will be superior to a TS for you in all situations. If you had a big shop it would be different. Track saws are one of the revolutionary tools that you dont even know what you dont know until you have one, and start using it. Truly.

Tracks saws and circular saws with guides are not the same, and a circular saw will not accurately cut chip free lines in finished plywood. Dont think they are interchangeable. Track saws are also safer, ligher, have better onboard dust colletion and are easier for less experienced users to get good results with in sheetgoods.

Buy a cordless track saw. Preferably one that uses the festool/Makita tracks. Both those cordless saws are great. If you need to break down full sheets a 5' and 9' track are required and the makita ones are way cheaper for the same thing. Joining tracks is a time suck, and negatively affects the results. You will not regret it even if you sometimes need a TS as well.
Time suck for a pro, not a home / hobby user. Tracks 9' are hard to store, a 5' and 4' less difficult. They store upright on a wall very easily.

Tracks saws and circular saws with guides are not the same, and a circular saw will not accurately cut chip free lines in finished plywood. Dont think they are interchangeable. Track saws are also safer, ligher, have better onboard dust colletion and are easier for less experienced users to get good results with in sheetgoods.
That all depends on the guide. A guide that acts like a track like I made for my son, and one that I have (although not as good as my sons) are good at keeping a line and low chip out due to the guide being on the cut line. I have been using my home made guide since way before track saws existed. I do agree with you though, I want one, but I rough cut with mine and finish cut on my TS. I don't do work on site for anyone other than myself or my son. And then I use my home made guide which is 8'.

but I rough cut with mine and finish cut on my TS
That's the difference. A track saw gives a flawless finish cut. There are lots of other differences, but that is the big one. Making each cut only once is a big enough time saver i'd think even hobby use would justify it. And if the debate is between a jobsite TS (the most dangerous tool in America) as the original poster posed, and a track saw seems like an easy choice.

If you read my first post, I told him to go for the track saw, but I will stick with my TS.
And my methods.

That's the difference. A track saw gives a flawless finish cut. There are lots of other differences, but that is the big one. Making each cut only once is a big enough time saver i'd think even hobby use would justify it. And if the debate is between a jobsite TS (the most dangerous tool in America) as the original poster posed, and a track saw seems like an easy choice.
For the last 25 years or so it's been pounded into every kid that ever took a 'shop" class that the Radial Arm Saw is the most dangerous tool in America. When I was looking around for parts for one of my saws all I heard was how dangerous they were, and no one wanted them in their shop anymore. Looking on Facebook Marketplace there are currently close to 100 up for sale. On Craigslist there are over 60. Most are junk, but there are a few good ones out there at bargain basement prices.

The one I recently purchased came from a high school. The instructors thought it and the wood lathes had to go because they were so unsafe.

I agree completely, and why I am looking into a track saw. I need to break down my sheet goods in the garage before bringing them into the basement, so if the track saw can give me a proper finish cut, that saves me time on the table saw, as well as material since I can cut on size instead of leaving extra just to take off at the table saw. I can’t justify $800 for a Festool, but I am thinking of getting a more economical one to replace my circular saw and homemade guide.

Another item I will be putting on my Christmas list, a centipede workbench. I use a foam board on the floor to break down sheets, but my knees and back would appreciate this. https://boratool.com/bora-centipede-4-x6-workstand.html

For the last 25 years or so it's been pounded into every kid that ever took a 'shop" class that the Radial Arm Saw is the most dangerous tool in America. When I was looking around for parts for one of my saws all I heard was how dangerous they were, and no one wanted them in their shop anymore. Looking on Facebook Marketplace there are currently close to 100 up for sale. On Craigslist there are over 60. Most are junk, but there are a few good ones out there at bargain basement prices.

The one I recently purchased came from a high school. The instructors thought it and the wood lathes had to go because they were so unsafe.
I’ve heard that my most of my life too. I’ve never used one, so don’t see why they are considered the most dangerous tool, but I would consider a small job site table saw at the top of this list like borges1 mentioned. Which do you consider the good ones?

I've been using radial arm saws since the 1960's. The first one I purchased was in 1975. It's a 10" Dewalt which is definitely a hobbyist or homeowners grade machine. It's been used to build a few houses, decks, furniture and other projects. I recently picked up a Delta 14" which is a few steps up from the DeWalt. I'm sure there are much higher end professional models. However, they take up so much floor space and are so expensive I doubt than any "hobbyist" would be interested.

Original Saw Company bought the original patents from DeWalt and makes professional grade saws today. They range in price from around $6,500.00 to over $20,000.00. One similar to the Delta I just purchased is around $8,500.00. There are other German companies that also make similar saws. Like the Original saws they are geared to industry professionals. Some are over the $100,000.00 mark.

Last edited:
OP here!

I make shelves, stands, guards, boxes, stools, carts, and outdoor furniture. None of it is high quality. I’ll never be in Fine Woodworking magazine.

If the track saw isn’t an adequate replacement for the tablesaw, then I probably won’t buy it. My needs are intermittent, random, and low. I am going to look into having the box store do the rips. If that works out, then I may be able to reclaim a piece of floor.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions on the matter. Thanks again!

Back