Trailer build project, need advice..

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I found/bought a small utility trailer to haul my antique engines on. It's 4x8 and quite heavy for the size, I believe it's a former u-haul rental. The previous owner was going to dismantle & re-use the tubing, but only cut off the axle before he quit... Well it never had any leaf springs under it shrug.gif and I thought I would add them now. I'm looking for your thoughts on axle position. Factory placed the axle with the bend upwards (1st pic). I'm wondering about placing the axle with the bend hanging down, giving ample space to fit in leaf springs (2nd pic). Ground clearance is only 8.5" but I think that's ok. What are your thoughts, experience??
Thanks,
Wes

TrailerAxle 001.jpgTrailerAxle 002.jpgTrailerAxle 003.jpg

TrailerAxle 003.jpg TrailerAxle 001.jpg TrailerAxle 002.jpg

I would head to the local rental shop or U-Haul with a tape measure and a camera to get axle position of a similar factory built trailer. That way, somebody else has already done the engineering for you. I'm pretty sure you want to keep the axle behind the center, but how much is the question. I don't see a problem with adding springs and putting the drop down.

I would head to the local rental shop or U-Haul with a tape measure and a camera to get axle position of a similar factory built trailer. That way, somebody else has already done the engineering for you. I'm pretty sure you want to keep the axle behind the center, but how much is the question. I don't see a problem with adding springs and putting the drop down.

Must put springs on otherwise it will bounce a lot on uneven surfaces and you dont want that with a load at speed Adding a set of shocks also stabilizes the whole trailer. General rule is axle is 2/3 of the distance from the tip of the draw bar or hitch.Be care full how you load a trailer not too much weight in the front or back must be loaded even. turning your axle round will be fine just check that it does not put you camber out and through you wheel alinement out
have fun I also collect and restore engines

Tractor Supply sells a spring kit that bolts and welds on for a pretty reasonable price.

Bob

Regardless of the tounge length, the axel has to be 60% front and 40% back of the cargo deck.

Mark your center line, then measure back as many inches as the trailer is long in feet (cargo deck only, NOT including the tounge).

Example, a twelve foot trailer will have a center length of six foot, plus twelve inches. A sixteen foot trailer will have a center length of eight foot, plus sixteen inches.
This will be the center of your axel for a single axel, and the center pivot of your duel axels. Any more questions on trailer building and you can pm me.

Jake Parker

I built a duel axel trailer a few years back. It originally was a 25 foot travel trailer frame. I shortened it to 14 feet. I did exactly what was suggested and went to a trailer dealer and measured the trailers for the right axel location.

Yes, I agree you can easily rotate the axel so that you'll be able to fit some springs. Trailer supply not only has springs but you can also get fenders at a reasonable price. You probably will also want to check the tires for range. You may want to have 6 ply tires due to the potential weight you may carry.

Trailers can be fun to build. The one I built is due for a rebuild. Maybe this summer. I'll look to see if I have a picture.

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks guys (my thanks button not working)..
I'd prob' put axle in same position as it was, unless I make it longer now too..
Hmm, guess I should check to be sure the wheels are parallel on that axle. Good point!
Figures, our TSC store closed last year. ha
Anyone else have suggestions?
Thanks!

(edit) What kind of trailer does not have springs on it anyway? Drove past the u-haul place & nothing is without springs. Thought maybe it was meant for a small machine that did have suspension on it.. ?

Here is a picture of my trailer not long after I finished building it. Not the best shot but it is the best I have.

You could also check for springs at a travel trailer dealership, boat shop or a local trailer supply house. Someone that sells trailers.

Paul

John Deere 001.JPG

With a single axle trailer, where the back can be lowered to pavement level, a good winch would be an useful option to load heavy machines.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own a trailer, so I don't know if this is a correct procedure.

One very important thing I forgot to mention... Please hire a qualified welder to do the welds for you. Trailers get exposed to a lot of different stresses and I would hate to hear that a weld failed and you or someone else got hurt or worse. If you are absolutely sure of your welding skills then by all means take care of yourself, but I can promise you if you have a 110 Volt welder it is not hot enough to fuse the metal sufficiently to take the stress and strain, and it is not If it will fail, but WHEN and how much damage is it going to cause. If you were in Fla, I would be glad to do it for you so it is permanently bonded.

Bob

Back