Trailer Rescue

epanzella

Active User
Registered
It just occurred to me that 2023 was the twentieth birthday of my boat trailer that I built in 2003. I hadn't given my boat trailer a thorough inspection in a while so I dragged the trailer out from under the boat. Good thing I did because the spring shackles were just about worn thru. I made new (heavier) shackles, replaced bolts with grade 8, and pressed in all new bushings. I'm 75 next month so by the time this wears out again I'll be looking at the bottom of a lawn mower.

Attachments

• BUSHINGS AND SHACKLES.JPG
    BUSHINGS AND SHACKLES.JPG
    631.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_2130 (2).jpg
    DSC_2130 (2).jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_2135.JPG
    DSC_2135.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_2136.JPG
    DSC_2136.JPG
    596 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_2138.JPG
    DSC_2138.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2139.JPG
    DSC_2139.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 70
Why do you have two sizes of spare tires mounted on it?

Why do you have two sizes of spare tires mounted on it?
I originally used load range D's when I built the trailer but as they wore out replaced them with E's. I also replaced one of the spares with an E but haven't gotten around to replacing the second spare as my trailering is more localized than it was when I was younger. The tires look really different in the picture but in person you can hardly tell the difference.

Last edited:
That is quite the boat and trailer! I never thought of "dragging" a boat off of a trailer. I guess it does make sense, though. Will you just winch it back onto the trailer?

That is quite the boat and trailer! I never thought of "dragging" a boat off of a trailer. I guess it does make sense, though. Will you just winch it back onto the trailer?
Yeah. As I pull the trailer out from under the boat I lay blocks and the boat settles on to them. To get the trailer back under the boat I put the truck in neutral and the trailer winch pulls the trailer back under the boat. When I built the house I put a heavy duty eye in the retaining wall in so I could do this.

Attachments

• DSC_2137.JPG
    DSC_2137.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 22
Bushings, and hangers was an almost annual event for me :)
The cab looks very similar to my old boat, but the bow entry is different. Whos hull, and what is the length, and beam?

Very nice lines :encourage:
The lines look familiar, similar to my Parker that was built in NC.

Last edited:
Back