Trailer Rescue

I had a lot of issues with the 3 piece setup, hull, cab, gunnel cap, I ended up having them all glassed together to stop the leaks.

I had a lot of issues with the 3 piece setup, hull, cab, gunnel cap, I ended up having them all glassed together to stop the leaks.
I don't seem to be getting leaks from the hull/deck joint but I do have a leak where the anchor windlass cable bundle penetrates the deck. I mounted the windlass 20 years ago when I was even stupider than I am now. I should have realized that I could never waterproof a hole with four cables running thru it. To boot I attached the windlass mount to the deck with 5200. No amount of caulk would stop the leak and I was unwilling to disassemble the windlass mount to separate the cables. The leak was way up in the forepeak behind the forward bulkhead so I made a dam out of glass and routed the leak to a drain that dumped into the bilge. It only leaks a few ounces when we get torrential rains but it was enough to make the V-berth cushions smelly and my wife has a nose like a bloodhound. The cushions are bone dry now and fresh as an April breeze.

My hull/gunnel cap had a neoprene rolled noodle all the way around held in by screwing/clamping the hull/cap together,, fail....

Back