Transformer Wiring?

Jim Dawson, "You could ground X2 on the transformer, that would make it a neutral, which is described as ''a grounded current carrying conductor'' as opposed to a safety ground which is described as ''a grounded non-current carrying conductor''"

Is it ideal to use ground as a neutral? Does this optimize electrical safety?
Searching for understanding...

Daryl
MN

Jim Dawson, "You could ground X2 on the transformer, that would make it a neutral, which is described as ''a grounded current carrying conductor'' as opposed to a safety ground which is described as ''a grounded non-current carrying conductor''"

Is it ideal to use ground as a neutral? Does this optimize electrical safety?
Searching for understanding...

Daryl
MN

While the neutral and ground are both grounded and are electrically the same, you would never use the ground as the other side of a circuit. The ground is a safety ground to protect you in case of a short in the machine. The ground (normally green or green/yellow) and neutral (normally white or gray) are separate conductors.

I hope that makes sense:)

All,
I'm confused. Again.
If X2 is connected to both ground (machine) and the neutral of the DC motor wouldn't that make ground part of the circuit?

Daryl
MN

There is no neutral on the DC motor, unless you are talking about the motor controller. But technically the ground is electrically the same as the neutral.

Normally you would connect a white or gray wire to X2 of the transformer and run that to your device as a neutral. The green ground wire would also be connected to X2 and go directly to the machine ground. The motor controller should also have a ground lug that should be connected to the machine ground.

David VanNorman,
I'm not familiar with the term "spinner" please explain.
The guy I'm doing this for runs a 50hp RPC.
He is a weld fab guy, who runs large shears and benders.

Daryl
MN
A spinner is a 3 phase motor started by a capacitor set up . It will give a third leg to your 3 phase motor but it will not be a true 3 phase. I use it in my shop and it works well . A friend used one to run some large equipment . He started his with a rope.

Folks, if you don't know about electricity, or terms of it, please don't say anything.
I am truly waiting on the post for someones widow that so and so was working on the wiring on their whatever and got electrocuted.

That being said.
The transformer in the picture is not 3 phase. It can be used with 3 phase power, but it's not fed with all 3 phases.
The reason it's labeled with 220 and 480 is that 220 or 480 3 phase is the voltage developed between any two phases of the line.
As a side note, if you measure actual 3 phase to ground / neutral you get 277 for 480 and 120 if it's 208/220.
To feed the transformer you are going to hook 2 phases to it. One will connect to H1 with a jumper over to H3 and the other phase will connect to H2 with a jumper to H4. X1 and X2 are the 110 volt AC output that will run to the control circuits for the DC motor.

On a side note, if you were to feed the transformer with 480. The two phases would connect to H1 and H4 and a jumper would be placed between H2 and H3 for correct wiring.

And remember electricians or electric guru's are cheaper than doctor bills, lost wages and funerals.
If you don't know for certain what you are doing, or feel the least bit of concern hire a professional or find a buddy that does this stuff and ply him with pizza and beer (beer after the work is done. It saves in the long run

Try this:

Neutral White/neutral gray Electrical ground Return path for electrical current to source, all connections via electrical conductor to electrical
source. Only connects to physical/mechanical
ground at origination of electrical supply to the building.

Ground Green/yellow green Mechanical equipment ground Only carries fault current, Mechanical ground, Safety ground, connected to physical frame of equipment, purely for safety of personnel. Only connects to electrical ground (neutral) at origination of electrical supply to building.

Is it clicking yet?
Post on mirror in bathroom so it can be studied while shaving your noggin! :fireman:

Great!!
Thank you All.
Cap off one leg.
Connect two of the 3 legs.

Is is silly for me to ask how a transformer makes a neutral out of two hots?

Daryl
MN

Try this page, http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/33602/why-do-240v-circuits-not-require-neutral. I am not much of a transformer guy but basically they use the center lug/tap of the transformer.

Some integrated circuit chips require a neutral or zero voltage. I have used two 9 volt batteries connected in series and used the connection between the two for zero. I had a First Class Tech explain it me years ago. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

Back