Trav-a-dial Model 6A

Mutt

Registered
Registered
does anyone repair these dials.? Mine took a dump 2 days ago, probably got a chip in it or something. I bought it for $75 on eBay about 7 years ago and it has worked fine up until now. SWI doesn't repair them any more. I don't care for a DRO on my lathe, would rather keep this on it.

I have taken them apart and cleaned them out, no big mystery.

I used to not shake so much as I do now! I'd just take it apart, clean it out, use a sharp pointed tool to dislodge the chip that is making it stick and reassemble it; the only trick is that there is one gear assembly inside that is two identical gears alongside each other that are spring/biased against each other to eliminate backlash; there is a small hole through the two, where a pin is inserted to preload the spring to a neutral position; once partially assembled, the pin is removed and assembly is completed.

Thanks, but you must be thinking about the silver ones that has 6 screws on the top, holding the indicator case together. Mine is the Model 6A and there are no screws.
If mine just screwed together, I would have already done what you are suggesting,
Any one else know someone doing repairs/cleaning on these? I need this back up and on the lathe ASAP. The dial that comes on the grizzly lathe is totally inaccurate.
As simple as these are (the silver one has 25 pieces, ( 1/4 of them screws) and they cost like $750 new and the company won't sell ya parts to fix them and want nearly half the price of a new one just to clean / repair yours. Sounds like a racket to me. I can't believe the Chinese haven't at least made one similar, that doesn't infringe on SWI copyright/patent (like they care) and sell them for a legitimate price, like $100 or so.

Mutt, just curious about what the Trav-a-Dial provides that a DRO does not. Is it just personal preference or is there a technical value in a Trav-a-dial that a DRO does not provide?

Mine is not the silver one, it is rectangular and black and has a single dial and the adjustable counting knob, it does screw together with 6 screws on the back side. One thing a person can do to avoid getting crud inside is to occasionally replace the foam plastic wiper that surrounds the measuring wheel and also use one of the spring bronze scrapers to scrape crud off of the measuring surface.

The Trav-a-dial has no electronics & no cords / wires. Just a simple mechanical device that is super easy to install on any lathe.
Here is the Model 6A with no screws holding it together
.DSC03398.JPG
DSC03399.JPG

Mine is not the silver one, it is rectangular and black and has a single dial and the adjustable counting knob, it does screw together with 6 screws on the back side. One thing a person can do to avoid getting crud inside is to occasionally replace the foam plastic wiper that surrounds the measuring wheel and also use one of the spring bronze scrapers to scrape crud off of the measuring surface.

Yes,I understand about using the wiper pad to keep krud out . Have no clue about a spring bronze scraper tho? Is this a hand tool or does it mount on the indicator body somewhere?

mutt,
Those six little divots around the outside is some sort of epoxy covering the screws. If you dig that stuff out there it will expose the screws for you to take it apart. I have one and attempted to clean it myself but I was unsuccessful in getting the roller to move smoothly. It still sits in a drawer awaiting repair.

Good luck

Back