Trindle super industrial welder

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I just got this welder. It was almost free! I haven't stick welded in years. Its nice to have a backup to my mig welder. It is very basic, not even an on off switch.
Do these old welders put out ac or dc voltage? I really want to try my hand at welding aluminum with it.
20201117_213458.jpg20201117_213524.jpg

Looks like ac only even though it says plus/minus- 125 amps max so a pretty light duty machine. Useful to about 1/4" steel
Run it on 240 volts for best results
-Mark

240v for sure. It had a dryer plug on it. I already changed it to a welder plug. Just have to test it now.

I wonder, since this machine has no on/off switch, or any controls whatsoever, if this machine could be left plugged in and be completely inactive until an arc is struck.

You're always going to get some losses in the primary winding even if there's no circuit on the secondary. It'll just burn power for no good reason. Also a bit of a liability should it manage to short itself somehow.

Pop a voltmeter on the output, it'll soon tell you for sure what the deal is.

So, I have poking around on the internet, and have discovered that a dc conversion can easily be done by using a bridge rectifier. I just have to make sure that it is rated for my welders output amperage.
Has anyone done one of these conversions? And, how does it work? I know that it would improve welding in general, but what of aluminum?

Back