[Metrology] Triple V Ways Leveling

Leave it as it is. As long as you get the same reading from end to end, it is good. If you want, put a small thickness of shim stock under one end of the level to bring up the bubble to the middle. At least that will tell you the difference in height from front to back.
But a tiny bit of slope there is of no consequence.

Without any actual cutting to find out, would this situation cut a taper or not?

In theory no. In practice, the lathe will probably cut a taper anyway.
Just check it by putting a 3" aluminum tube about 8" in the 4jaw and turn it round with no tail stock support. Check both ends for taper. If it is really off, you have to make a facing check and then proceed from there. If it is minor (<0.003"), adjust the feet to twist the bed slightly to eliminate the taper or live with it (there is really no good reason to live with it).

Thank y'all for the responses, just got back to the house a few minutes ago.

Leaving the machine the way it was, as suggested, I took the aluminum piece I've been using on the 1236 whenever I check the machine and chucked it in the 1024 4J. Using DCGT 32.51 I took a 0.005 cut the length of the rod, at 700 RPM, QCGB levers on D and 8, this machine does not have feed rate chart, gears are 40/127/40, whatever the federate is.

I may be making some errors in my measuring technique, here is what I got.DSC_4272.JPG DSC_4273.JPG

Hard to judge how long the rod is, but I am thinking it is something like 5"?
If so, if you are not happy with that then you need to re-evaluate your hobby...

Get yourself a gallon of WD40 and a pump sprayer. It is about the best lube for aluminum. Those spots come from the chips rubbing back into the work, WD40 should cure it.

Well done BTW!

Hard to judge how long the rod is, but I am thinking it is something like 5"?
If so, if you are not happy with that then you need to re-evaluate your hobby...

Get yourself a gallon of WD40 and a pump sprayer. It is about the best lube for aluminum. Those spots come from the chips rubbing back into the work, WD40 should cure it.

Well done BTW!

Joshua,

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for the tip on those spots, I never knew what causes them to form. The turned section of the rod is about 7 inches. This 1024 lathe is pretty stout little guy. It sits on a 2 x 2 square tube metal frame with 1/2 inch steel plate for a pan and a 3/8 steel shelf at the bottom. I think the stand weighs more than the lathe itself.

DSC_4275.JPG

Back