Trouble in tool paradise

Recently purchased an r8 er-32 collet set on E-bay and was surprised to receive it nearly a week earlier that estimated,woo-hoo !
Took it out and chucked up an end mill to check run out, TIR was 4-5 tenths, doable fer me...
Then I went to remove the collet and tool and the dang closer nut popped off the collet leaving the collet and the end mill stuck in the receiver
had to bang it out with a soft punch, figgered it might be a fluke so, I chucked up another one, then a couple more, same deal :rolleyes: ...
Now in process of trying to get this predicament sorted out, and contacted them through E-bay first response was they wanted a video of the problem, told them I
don;t have that ability I wish for refund or replace, second response was we give you ten dolla off plice and you keep, I say no dice, replace, or refund price, and you pay return postage, third response, we give you harf plice refund and you keep, I say I don't want to keep useless tools and want refund or replace with usable tool, I also suggested they scrutinize their quality control dept. to avoid this type of problem, and waiting to see what they want to do now.....
I am now going to eat the the bowl of therapeutic chocolate pudding my wife has prepared me because of this stress full situation........................:frown:
Keep on them like white in fied wice:chunky:

Don't worry about it Suzuki, we understand what you mean. Check out that video by AvE. I think he "accidentally" removed the extraction ring by turning it with his lathe. There are some other Youtube videos on the subject. It seems that some of the cheap nuts do not quite extract the collet. This is an opportunity to try to make your own. Harold Hall has some suggestions on his wonderful website.

I didn't understand how the extraction ring worked either and complained to the seller. Graciously he sent me a replacement, so now I have two.
mark

Norseman ... who was the seller so we can all avoid him?

This is going to come across a bit strong, but:

How can anyone order from a lowest-priced vendor, then treat it as if it came from a top-of-the-line US manufacturer?

My feeling about Chinese equipment is we get exactly what we pay for. Do you guys really think all heavy machine tools in China is crap? No, I'm sure they have stuff just as well built and accurate as ours... we just won't pay for it. Imagine opening a US factory to make $2499 mills; how many would sell? Not many, because people would know they're crap, and yet, why do we have such high expectations from the same crap made elsewhere?

If the seller says it's a precision unit I will hold them to their claim REGARDLESS !! of the price !!!
If no one calls them on it the quality will just get worse, and if sales drop because of reporting by customers it's only logical for an astute seller
to be sure of the quality of his product. That's how marketing works..........
I have in the past purchased Chinese tooling and been quite satisfied with it, hell my lathe is Chinese made and my mill drill is Taiwan
made both are well functioning machines. If quality isn't demanded it will not be given !!

The seller is cskwin 2015 one to avoid IMO.....................

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the chuck was okay-ish but the nut did not extract the collet as it should have. The seller could have avoided all of this if he just replaced the nut with a functional part or gave a partial refund. Quality issues aside, the seller is the problem here.

If the seller says it's a precision unit I will hold them to their claim REGARDLESS !! of the price !!!
If no one calls them on it the quality will just get worse, and if sales drop because of reporting by customers it's only logical for an astute seller
to be sure of the quality of his product. That's how marketing works..........
I have in the past purchased Chinese tooling and been quite satisfied with it, hell my lathe is Chinese made and my mill drill is Taiwan
made both are well functioning machines. If quality isn't demanded it will not be given !!

The seller is cskwin 2015 one to avoid IMO.....................

They also sell another must have item

Back