Troubleshooting an Enco lathe motor

OK I guess you have your work cut out for you
Very likely the switch can be fixed/unstuck/repaired

OK I guess you have your work cut out for you
Very likely the switch can be fixed/unstuck/repaired
I'm not sure what you are talking about with the switch? Maybe someone else you are helping.

But I think you have narrowed down the culprit, I'm not sure the shorted wires did this because I had it running after putting everything together after it was shorted. Even before I hooked the wires up at all the motor made a squeal when I spun it over, So it possibly needed bearings anyway. So I think I'm going to take this motor to the local electric motor repair shop and see if it's feasible to repair this motor and replace the bearings. I'm not sure I am up to the task of repairing an electric motor. And the shaft size is oddball so finding a replacement motor won't be easy since the pulley is a double pulley for a 0.940 shaft size, I could machine a bushing for it but then I need an oversized key.

But all of this aside, I would like to thank you for helping me through this and also thank you for helping the countless other folks you have on this forum with your knowledge of electrical wiring etc. Thank you very Much!

The switch is inside the motor and it can be a job to get to it. So you are probably taking the practical approach in taking it to a shop (if you have one near you)
Good job on the troubleshooting- hopefully you picked up a few useful tidbits
PS if the local motor shop won't touch it or wants too much money, there are several motor experts here that could help you get it apart and
back together successfully if you want to go that route
Opening the motor is usually not too difficult, but replacing bearings requires a press.
-Mark

Last edited:
The switch is inside the motor and it can be a job to get to it. So you are probably taking the practical approach in taking it to a shop (if you have one near you)
Good job on the troubleshooting- hopefully you picked up a few useful tidbits
-Mark
I actually learned a lot here, Thanks again!

Update,

Well this project has almost come full circle! I had talked to Mr Mike on the phone yesterday and we were talking about the centrifugal switch and he said it should be behind the rear cover, So I pulled off the rear cover and there it was, I carefully removed it and after cleaning the contacts with emery cloth and removing all of the oil off of them and taking it apart and putting it back together 3 times to get it right (Stuff flew everywhere a few times), I put it back on the motor and I also went to that electric motor shop and got a new capacitor and installed it. This thing fires up with such vigor now that it wants to jump off the plate I had it sitting on!

I think the main problem was the oil that was on the contacts, This lathe had a leak at the back of the headstock and was dripping onto the motor and I remember one of Mr Mikes pics showed oil in the bottom of the rear cover, So The oil leak is also fixed now.

So I am very exited about this, The motor shop told me they would test it for free but they would not be able to repair it for quite a while as they are swamped right now anyway. So I went ahead and tackled this, Glad I did it runs great now!

Thank you to everyone who helped me out!

Attachments

• 20230313_152326.jpg
    20230313_152326.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230313_152328.jpg
    20230313_152328.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230313_152333.jpg
    20230313_152333.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230313_152337.jpg
    20230313_152337.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 8
So like Mark said, It was a total coincidence that the motor acted up after I straightened out the shorted wires.

The bearings still make a little noise, But I'm going to go ahead and try using it a bit until I figure out what to do about that.

Last edited:
Very nice! Glad to hear
Unusual arrangement, start switches are usually harder to access

Last edited:
Back