Trying to figure out what I have here

N9WHH

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have had this lathe for about 20 years, and have used it off and on over the years, but it has been a while since I used it. I am wanting to get back into machining again, and am looking into getting some accessories for the lathe. It came with a 4-jaw chuck, and I don't remember ever removing it, but am almost certain that it is threaded on. The Catalog number is CL187Y and serial number 9607RKL12-. It has a 3' bed and has the number 10 cast into the bed. The first thing I am wanting to find is a 3-jaw scroll chuck. I am thinking that the thread might be a 1-1/2-8, but can not confirm this. Since I have never removed the chuck, I have not measured the thread. I have not seen any information that can tell me what the thread should be for this lathe.
Which brings up another question; what is the proper way to remove the chuck. I do not want to damage anything in the process.
Can anyone tell me more about this little gem? Such as year of manufacture? Or anything else I should know. Can I get a collet chuck for it? Etc. I know I do not know much about it, but am working on that.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

South Bend spindles are threaded, for the most part. 1.5" x 8 tpi thread.
To remove the chuck, first soak the spindle/chuck interface with penetrating oil or liquid wrench
for a couple days. (possibly longer if it's been on there for years)
Then engage the back gears and put a piece of lumber in the chuck jaws (perhaps 2"x 2", 3 feet long) to act as a lever. Do not hammer on it, just pull firmly in a counter-clockwise direction.
Applying some gentle heat for a few hours might help if it seems really stuck

I can't help with the thread size.
As to getting the chuck off, I have a SB 13" that I have been playing with here.
The chuck was stuck on there pretty tight and like you, I didn't want to damage anything.
This chuck is bolted on to an adapter plate that screws on to the spindle.
I simply removed the chuck from the plate and used my rosebud torch to warm the area around the spindle.
It popped off easily.
I know not everyone has a torch but it did not take much heat.
An inexpensive Bernzomatic plumbers torch would do the job.

Attachments

• 943014a__82504.jpg
    943014a__82504.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 323202493358.jpg
    323202493358.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 19
You can buy 3d printed plastic stops that mesh with/match your back gear on eBay. If you've never taken the chuck off, and you get stuck after trying what Mark suggested, I'd suggest going that route so that more torque can be applied.

A heavy 10 is a very popular South Bend lathe. I have fond memories of my 1941 13X40.
20+ years with a four jaw. Wow, I bet that baby is on there.
Many threads on how to remove your chuck. You'll get it no problem.
Great advice so far. I think many of us would like to see your heavy 10!!
Pics please

I appreciate all of the replies! I am embarrassed, though, to post any pictures, but here goes:
20240416_113439.jpg20240416_113533.jpg20240413_094041.jpg These are all I have, for now. As said, it has been a while since I used it last, but it has been sitting under a heavy tarp in my garage for quite a while. I was almost scared to look under it, but it pretty much looks like it did when I picked it up locally. I have machined a few parts on it, and they were successful. Now, nearing retirement, I want to get serious about using it, and will. There is much to do, but first priority is to get that chuck off of it and find out for sure what size it is. I am guessing, that it is probably the 2-1/4-8 spindle.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and guidance.

Chris

I appreciate all of the replies! I am embarrassed, though, to post any pictures, but here goes:
View attachment 487622View attachment 487623View attachment 487621 These are all I have, for now. As said, it has been a while since I used it last, but it has been sitting under a heavy tarp in my garage for quite a while. I was almost scared to look under it, but it pretty much looks like it did when I picked it up locally. I have machined a few parts on it, and they were successful. Now, nearing retirement, I want to get serious about using it, and will. There is much to do, but first priority is to get that chuck off of it and find out for sure what size it is. I am guessing, that it is probably the 2-1/4-8 spindle.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and guidance.

Chris
Nice stout little machine, no shame in a tool that's well used. Just clean it up and keep working with it :)

John

Back