Trying to figure out what I have here

I appreciate all of the replies! I am embarrassed, though, to post any pictures, but here goes:
View attachment 487622View attachment 487623View attachment 487621 These are all I have, for now. As said, it has been a while since I used it last, but it has been sitting under a heavy tarp in my garage for quite a while. I was almost scared to look under it, but it pretty much looks like it did when I picked it up locally. I have machined a few parts on it, and they were successful. Now, nearing retirement, I want to get serious about using it, and will. There is much to do, but first priority is to get that chuck off of it and find out for sure what size it is. I am guessing, that it is probably the 2-1/4-8 spindle.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and guidance.

Chris
Wouldn’t it be fun to strip it down, clean it up, rescrape where needed, reassemble after a good paint job?
It’s easy for me :)

I appreciate all of the replies! I am embarrassed, though, to post any pictures, but here goes:
View attachment 487622View attachment 487623View attachment 487621 These are all I have, for now. As said, it has been a while since I used it last, but it has been sitting under a heavy tarp in my garage for quite a while. I was almost scared to look under it, but it pretty much looks like it did when I picked it up locally. I have machined a few parts on it, and they were successful. Now, nearing retirement, I want to get serious about using it, and will. There is much to do, but first priority is to get that chuck off of it and find out for sure what size it is. I am guessing, that it is probably the 2-1/4-8 spindle.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and guidance.

Chris
I love the large dials. My 41 had those useless tiny dials.

That's true- I think some Sheldons will
I only know of two things that use 27 tpi:
Professional microphone stands and
some kitchen and bathroom faucets
Also 1/8 and 1/16 pipe threads, both tapered and straight threads, used on light fixtures and piping and fittings. I'm told that Axelson lathes also did it, but as I said, all it takes is a extra change gear to do it on any lathe that will accommodate change gears.

Well, I am happy to report that the chuck came off with a little persuasion. I gave it a couple doses of Kroil and let it set thru dinner, tonight. I was able to break it loose with a long piece of lumber and a good pull. I must have had it off before, as there was some anti-seize on the threads, which looks like something that I would have done.

The back end of the spindle measured out at about 1.4” ID. The thread measured at 2-1/4-8 on the chuck end. How can I tell if it is designed for use with collets? I am not familiar with what I would need to use collets. For now, I am going to look for a 3-jaw scroll chuck.

Last edited:
If I recall, RKL in the serial number means a heavy 10 "L", with a 2 - 1/4" - 8 on the spindle thread.

That is assuming no one has changed the headstock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That's true- I think some Sheldons will
I only know of two things that use 27 tpi:
Professional microphone stands and
some kitchen and bathroom faucets
The Star bullet sizer/lubricator has 1/2-27 threads on its punches. It was easier to just buy a tap and die than to find a lathe that cuts 27tpi and do the other things that I want.

Back