Tula Revolver

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

One of my old neighbors got in touch with me about some work he needed done, and while I was happy to do it for free, he presented me with my 'payment.'

nagent.jpg

It's a 1938 Tula revolver. An interesting design, as it fires 7.62x38R cartridges. The bullet is actually pushed into the casing, which protrudes from the cylinder once loaded. The cocking mechanism pushes the cylinder forward against the barrel, and the end of the casing flares into it, creating a gas-tight seal. When the trigger is released, the cylinder retracts, allowing the cylinder to rotate. Pretty slick design, but I'm not sure how much improvement it is. Downside is that the rounds have to be manually ejected and loaded, one at a time.

Not sure how much punch the 7.62x38 round will have, but I'm guessing somewhere around .32 caliber power.

Need to buy some cartridges for it (found 'em for $35 delivered, box 'o 50 rounds), and put some through it do decide if I'm going to keep it or pass it along. Weighs a touch over a pound, has a nice feel and heft, but the trigger pull is crazy high. That'll take some getting used to.

All in all, it's an interesting piece, and I look forward to operating this high-velocity-remote-hole-punch. :)

I think you can get an extra cylinder made to shoot the 32 cal rounds , ck the YouTube for the Russian sidearm. Pretty cheap to buy , not like a top shelf revolver but still can be very accurate . The rounds don't lose any pressure because of the gas seal . Webly made a revolver which was considered a semi auto. It had the cylinder cut with grooves to make it spin when fired. Keep it you may never see another, plus it's practically free.

Similar to the Nagant 1895 revolver? It had similar features a gas seal on the ammo that would move the end of the cartridge into the barrel before firing.

O! I see, same revolver. Never heard it called a Tula before, just showing my ignorance.

These were dirt cheap a few years back - in the $80 range. I picked a few up and also some of the 32 cal conversion cylinders. Both are a real puppy to shoot, and are mainly paper punchers in my view, but kinda neat and WAY over engineered. Amazing they were available that cheap to us. Excellent if you want to suppress a revolver, as these seal tight against the cylinder and no escaping gas noise. I'd definitely keep it no matter what. If you are interested in a conversion cylinder and cannot find one I have a couple of extras. I might part with one. Makes it easier to get ammo for the gun - 32 is usually readily available. Not really cost effective if you got the gun for free tho. :apologize:

1895nagant_zpsmcalybvt.jpg
32acylinder_zpsozp8a4r7.jpg

Almost bought one, though almost don't count. Waited around 'til I ended up out of work and that was way down on the list of things I needed to do/get/handle.

I think you can get an extra cylinder made to shoot the 32 cal rounds , ck the YouTube for the Russian sidearm. Pretty cheap to buy , not like a top shelf revolver but still can be very accurate . The rounds don't lose any pressure because of the gas seal . Webly made a revolver which was considered a semi auto. It had the cylinder cut with grooves to make it spin when fired. Keep it you may never see another, plus it's practically free.
Save your. 223 brass. They can be reformed and trimmed to length to be used in this revolver.
Jack
These were dirt cheap a few years back - in the $80 range. I picked a few up and also some of the 32 cal conversion cylinders. Both are a real puppy to shoot, and are mainly paper punchers in my view, but kinda neat and WAY over engineered. Amazing they were available that cheap to us. Excellent if you want to suppress a revolver, as these seal tight against the cylinder and no escaping gas noise. I'd definitely keep it no matter what. If you are interested in a conversion cylinder and cannot find one I have a couple of extras. I might part with one. Makes it easier to get ammo for the gun - 32 is usually readily available. Not really cost effective if you got the gun for free tho. :apologize:

Tula was the manufacturer

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yupp missed another good deal ,friggin sucks being laid up in a wheelchair ,I wanted to get one of those and the Finnish 39 sako built Mosin . I collect old army arms ,I have many of the USA ones a couple English ones but I wanted the revolver because of the gas seal operation . A well thought out revolver when you take everything that was going on at the time they were made. I'll find one sometime end up paying more but that's normal. They came with holsters and other accoutrements. If you come accross any let me know ,thanks

Back