turning a break drum

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
hi guys, if you tinker with auto's like i do from time to time you find out you may need to turn a brake drum. what i did i had a old axel to my truck laying around so i cut it in two leaveing a 4 inch stub on the hub end then i chucked it in my lathe and centered it and turned my brake drum around backwards and mounted it to the hub then i was able to turn the drum. keeps you from paying to have someone else do it for you and you save money

Great idea to use the old truck axle. Did you leave the wheel bearings pressed into the drum while you mounted it to the stub axle? If so, how did you keep the drum spinning while cutting?

-= Matt =-

Great idea to use the old truck axle. Did you leave the wheel bearings pressed into the drum while you mounted it to the stub axle? If so, how did you keep the drum spinning while cutting?

-= Matt =-
i pulled the bearing off and turned the shoulder a tad so i could get a flush fit up against my chuck then you use the lug bolts thats on your hub to mount your drum but mount it backwards, this is for the back drums, the front has rotors you do the same but you have to do it between centers that way you can turn both sides of rotors

i pulled the bearing off and turned the shoulder a tad so i could get a flush fit up against my chuck then you use the lug bolts thats on your hub to mount your drum but mount it backwards, this is for the back drums, the front has rotors you do the same but you have to do it between centers that way you can turn both sides of rotors
the only bearings you pull is on the axel that you use as the jig, you pull the rotor or the hub to turn off your car or truch

I hope Woody is ok.:rolleyes:

pics please I have considered rotors and drums for as long as I've had my lathe:thinking:

Jerry.:tiphat:
i will get pics up for you guys and some info on how i did this, its just straight turning and simple. my lathe is a 11 sheldon depending on the size of your lathe lets you know what diameter of drum or rotor you can turn unless you have a gap bed lathe, so stay tuned pics and info coming soon

Good job, now I know am fortune enough, my trucks F900 Ford are abought 16 1/2 x 5 no problem as well as
brake rotors.

Good job, now I know am fortune enough, my trucks F900 Ford are abought 16 1/2 x 5 no problem as well as
brake rotors.
when i first got out of highschool i worked in a machine shop in the country as a welder and i welded brake drums up enough so they could be turned back down to specs but i never thought i would be useing a lathe untill a yr ago, i was rabbit hunting and came up on this old sawmill and my sheldon was laying in a scrap pile, i talked to the owner and gave him 300.00 and it was own its way to a warm cozy garage, alot of fuel oil brass brushes and elbow grease and she was running great, and with practice and youtube books and help on sites like this i have to admit i'm doing pretty good being a newbie.:biggrin:

Great post.

Jerry;

Rotors are a different animal. The should be turned from both sides at the same time to get equal cuts.

"Billy G" :thumbzup:
rotors are best done by machining between centers , when making your jig leave enough stub on it to turn between centers it will leave enough room ,Be careful and dont run your saddle into your rotor:headscratch:. i will get pics up for you guys and info, its just been really messy here the last few days weather wise

Back