Turning between centers on a 1228?

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
I know this likely isn't as complicated as I am making it, so I thought I would ask here.
I am interested in setting up my 1228 to turn between centers bur almost everything I see when I research how to do that on other lathes talks about using a lathe dog in conjunction with a dog drive plate of some sort. Despite looking around, I am starting to believe the D1-4 drive plates just aren't a thing. The fact that I Can't find one indicates to me that I am thinking about this the wrong way.
How would you set up the 1228 to turn between centers? Is there any hardware needed beyond a lathe dog? Does anybody know of a good D1-4 dog drive plate? Any other useful tricks or tips for someone looking to go down this path?
Thanks!

Perhaps you can't use conventional dogs with a camlock system? Is there a special type?
I can't believe no one makes a camlock faceplate- maybe you're not looking in the right place?

/\/\/\/\ Damn , John is on the ball today ! :encourage:

maybe you're not looking in the right place?
Almost certainly the case. I can only look at the places I know, any other suggestions would be helpful.

Easy enough to chuck a piece of steel and turn a center point on it and use one of the chuck jaws to drive the dog.
I was fairly certain I was overthinking things. I'll have to give that a try.

You can use a faceplate with a center and some bolts on the plate to hold the dog. That's what I've done.
From my research, that's what I intended to do except that I can't seem to find a D1-4 plate anywhere.

/\/\/\/\ Damn , John is on the ball today ! :encourage:
That being said, I have dog plates for both of my lathes, my Regal came with one, and I made one for my Monarch Jr., made a pattern and had one cast in iron.

You mean like this one? It came with my Eisen 1440 lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_143439497.jpg
    IMG_20220609_143439497.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20220609_143448270.jpg
    IMG_20220609_143448270.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 58
Yeah, something like that, except I think that one is actually too big for my machine.

Back