Turning Tool And Facing Tool Questions

Carlo, I see a couple of things. Your work was not supported by the tailstock so I'm surprised that it didn't chatter even more, that is a lot of stick out. Normally about 3x the diameter of the work is the max. This would indicate that your tool is working just fine.

When threading, as the tool goes deeper, the cut is wider, so more prone to chatter. Run another piece, and support the end with the tailstock center and I'll bet the chatter goes away.

In all honesty I had figured as much being unsupported. And the tool height wasn't right and and and. I just jumped into it and started playing. When I had made my scratch pass I had it kind of supported then I decided to
Move the tail stock because it was interfering with my movements. It's just odd I'm so used to hearing or feeling chatter. This just cut a nice curly chip with no noise whatsoever.

Regards-Carlo

Hello All, I picked up a HF belt sander, normally $79.00, Item #69033, used a 20% discount coupon. Using mikey's articles
I have been practicing my tool grinding.

Here are some shots of my second attempt. A little more positive rake angle on the top and I should have it down.

I am using the general purpose grind in article 3 as a learning example.

I can say using the tool rest makes it much easier to repeat the compound angles.

I am really enjoying the learning experience.

Thanks

Joe

Tool2Front.jpg tool2side.jpg tool2top.jpg

Yup, looks like one to me, too! Good job, Joe!

Good job, Joe. You're finding out what I found out... hang around here long enough and some good stuff starts to rub off on you.

Tom

It's great to here that you're getting the hang of grinding, Joe. I'm sure most think that I've abandoned my test of mikey's angles by now, but actually, I've been dealing with some health issues. I hope to report my results soon. Happy machining, JR49

JR get better, we need you out in the shop. " I feel a weakness in the force"

Joe

Back