Turning Tool And Facing Tool Questions

You're welcome :) I got a rather chintzy little wooden thing with two 2 x 3 stones (medium and hard) and a holder with a bottle of honing fluid in between for $13 or so off eBay. Looks cheesy but it's been heavily used and it's very easy to do both the rough and finish hones as they're right next to each other.

No problem Mikey, its great that you will be able to do that, should help a lot of folks. Even though I have been at this off and on for decades I still learn by seeing others tools and work.

cheers
michael

It will be a month before I get that camera back and I hope there is still interest in it, Mike.

mikey there will always be interest in looking at professional ground tooling.

Joe

mikey there will always be interest in looking at professional ground tooling.

I'm merely competent at best, Joe, but not a pro by any stretch of the imagination.

I've been thinking about this and wonder what it is you guys really need to see. I hope Mike (Doubleeboy) is reading this. I can certainly show you pics of my used tools when I get my camera back but I'm not sure of the value in that. I'll tell you why.

I have over 20 years on a Sherline lathe and have had to learn how to modify tools to expand on that lathe's already decent capabilities. Up to about 5 years ago I only used dedicated tool sets (rougher, finisher) and a Knife Tool for facing for everything I did. I had a set for every common material I worked with. However, I have changed my preference to a general tool shape because it is stronger, performs as well as dedicated tools when used with the proper lead angle and it is easier for me to maintain one tool instead of two or three. I now use a general tool for most things except facing and thin work finishing; I use the Knife Tool for that but the general tool faces nearly as well. I have a general tool for each commonly used class of material I work with because the tool angles change with the material. Even though I have a larger lathe now but I still prefer these tools.

Now that we have QCTP and can alter lead angle almost instantly, I really wonder if very many of us use a tool perpendicular to the work anymore. If not then the older tool shapes are not going to be of much interest. This thread has over 3800 views so something is of interest. I'm just not sure what that is, exactly. If folks need more detail on tool mods, I can provide my understanding on that. If its on how to actually grind the tool then we can do that, too, and provide pics and a narrative. It sort of depends on what folks need or want and that I don't know.

Mike, if I was to provide a pic on a good general lathe tool instead of the more archaic shapes would that be of greater interest? What do you think?

Mike, I think I am kind of like you, not a pro full time, but have been around the block a few times. Turned a ring on a Rockwell lathe in 8th grade shop class almost 50 years ago and have never regretted time spent in front of a machine, even when paid a pittance. I always look forward to finding pre ground used HSS tools at swap meets and metal working shows, just to see profiles that I have not seen before or used. As rudimentary as they may be any photos of tools that are of use on low hp machines or other wise are a gift as far as I am concerned.

It is just recently that I have been fooling around with HSS negative rake tooling and am finding that when sharp as a razor and presented at appropriate lead angle it will cut like a hot knife thru butter, yet all these years I have been believing the tale that only positive rake with big reliefs will work with low hp machines. For me its all about learning, I do this for fun, so yes I would welcome seeing photos of your go to tools even if its a year from now.

Kind Regards
michael

Thank you, Mike - glad you were watching. Unlike you, I'm no pro; just a hobby guy like many of us here. I will try to borrow a camera so we don't stall this thread waiting on me. I'll take a shot of an oft-used and very functional general use tool for steel. It is probably used more than most of my tools and is representative of the group. It is also very functional on my Sherline and my 11" Emco. While I'm not sure how it will help anyone, I will take some pics of it as soon as I can, okay? Thank you for getting back to me, Mike.

There are so many ways to grind a tool, some good, some not so good. I have about 15 pounds of old HSS tools ground by professional machinists and its amazing that so many shapes can be ground into a blank. Most of them are crude but they get the job done. Sadly, modern tools are rapidly replacing those old custom-made boring and turning tools and the skills those old guys had is rapidly fading away. If we are to help preserve even a basic knowledge of those skills this is where we will do it - a hobby forum - and I'm honored to play even a small part in that. I am hopeful that other forum members who also grind tools will chip in here so we can all learn more about it.

Funny you should mention negative rake tooling. I played around with that many years ago and never quite got it right, at least not on my little Sherline. Jim Dawson also told me about using a brazed carbide tool set below centerline and I haven't wrapped my head around that one yet, either. So much to learn and try. I'll keep your comment and Jim's in mind and will mess with it when time allows.

Oh, I emailed Joe Pitz and we discussed what info he would find useful. I figured he is the OP so I need to meet his needs. He has requested more info on how to actually modify lathe tools and I'll work on something I hope the forum finds useful.

Back