Turning wood on my victor lathe, suggestion for tool rest

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
I've been turning wood on my victor lathe. Right now I just have a piece of metal in the tool post as a tool rest, however there are several problems with this:

1. I can't position the tool rest where I like, especially near the end where the live center just prevents me from getting the tool rest as close to the work as possible.
2. I can't angle the tool rest as often as I like because changing the angle of the tool post means undoing the nut and all that (might be able to fix this later, or use a multifix tool post).

IMG_20221218_085615.jpg

So this is my setup. I have a holder with a piece of metal in it that acts as the tool rest.

I'm just wondering maybe if I should make a tool rest that will fit the ways, or maybe even temporarily remove the tool post and replace that with a custom tool rest...

What do you think?

Other than getting a wood lathe? Don’t know what it’s like in Taiwan but the US is lousy with used wood lathes.

Sorry I don’t have any good tool rest suggestions, I think wood lathes have a different basic geometry but I could be wrong.

Make sure you keep it clean.

John

Wood lathes are expensive and not often seen. Metal lathes are everywhere (hence being able to get this victor lathe for 1500 USD)

In my experience, a piece of metal in the tool holder is quite a poor substitute for a traditional tool rest. Om my Oliver patternmakers lathe there is the traditional compound rest as well as a wood lathe tool rest adaptor that takes the place of the compound, it works well.

In my experience, a piece of metal in the tool holder is quite a poor substitute for a traditional tool rest. Om my Oliver patternmakers lathe there is the traditional compound rest as well as a wood lathe tool rest adaptor that takes the place of the compound, it works well.
I'm sure some adapter can be machined that can be placed where the compound goes.. I mean a metal lathe is basically a patternmakers lathe anyways.

Here is a quick sketch of what I would do. I have been thinking of this because I need to use the metal lathe to make some very precision wood pieces out of hardwood and ABS. Remove the compound and use a big chunk of steel in it's place. Weld the cross bar down low, since a wood lathe tool rest is just a little below center. This is a 20 second drawing and it shows. Sorry, don't have a way to rotate. I was thinking 6" out from block would be good.

P.S. you can make your own tool rest to suit with a dowel and small angle iron

Attachments

• tool rest.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 28
Another thing is, I am trying to figure out how to use a skew chisel, without tearing the crap out of the wood. I've been turning Taiwan acacia (it's what I have at the moment) off cuts but it tears out easily.

It is the angle of the chisel tip, speed, angle of chisel to the wood, direction and height that the chisel contacts wood. Strictly experimenting and with that said, some woods just turn lousy. Not familiar with that species. On most woods with a skew, you want to shave, not cut. Also with the piece in your picture, you want to be a couple of thousand RPM. Metal lathe may not turn that fast

Back