Turning wood on my victor lathe, suggestion for tool rest

Yes I seen a bunch of videos on making your own carbide tool, but my question is, how are you supposed to use them? Do you use them like a scraper?
They work like just like the steel equivalent, but they cut very cleanly and last so much longer. I have used the wood lathe for a dozen or so projects and have not even rotated the inserts yet. The square, diamond and round inserts have covered every situation so far, though I use a classic steel cutoff blade occasionally.

I don't know how everyone on youtube is using skew but when they do it's like the wood just yields to their hand. Whereas when I follow everything the videos say, my skew is not cutting very well, and when it does cut it also catches a millisecond later. Especially rolling beads. I cannot roll beads without catching severely. This is regardless of how I position the skew, whether I use the long or short end, it does not matter. As soon as the skew cuts it catches a millisecond later. I really need to have someone show me in person how to use a skew.

I even slowed the lathe down to a trickle just to see what exactly is going on, and as I suspect, as soon as I can get the skew to cut it wants to catch. Basically the edge is dragged along like a record player.

Back