Turret lock fab, Logan. Will this work?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Folks, before I start drilling holes, I want to run this by you and get your thoughts. I have a Logan 12" turret lathe. I would like to have a tailstock, but I don't. I do need to use a live center on some projects. The problem is how to lock the turret forward.

So I've come up with this idea. Look and tell me what you think please. The plan is to mount a piece of 1/2" × 3/4" bar to the bed of the turret. This piece will move when the turret extends. To that I'll weld a piece of 3/8 × 2 bar at 90 degrees. That piece will be threaded and the bolt will bear on the base of the turret keeping pressure on the part.

Hope the pics help
1000002321.jpg
1000002324.jpg
1000002325.jpg

Generally, turrets are locked down by applying pressure to a portion of the top gib.

I don't see anything on mine that is a lock. But I don't know what it should look like.

On the turret lathes that I have owned it was a lever on top of the front top gib on the right hand end, I don't remember how it did the duty of locking the turret slide. Yes, just like the one shown on the picture of the Warner Swasey machine shown above.

I looked all over mine today, and I can't find anything l like that

I would reach out to Scott Logan and ask him. Must have been a way, the bolt at the rear doesn’t lock it?

John

And on the parts diagram I have that bolt isn't shown at all, and no lock is shown

Back