Two issues.... took video footage

You have a lathe now. You can make all kinds of pretty and useful things for your lathe like a quick release handle that will replace using that wrench on that nut. Something like this handle I made for my QCTP would probably work for your tailstock (the shiny handle on top).

IMG_6319.JPG

You have a lathe now. You can make all kinds of pretty and useful things for your lathe like a quick release handle that will replace using that wrench on that nut. Something like this handle I made for my QCTP would probably work for your tailstock (the shiny handle on top).

View attachment 270342

Yeah, I can't wait to start making stuff. Just wish I had a mill... that's my next big purchase and hopefully sooner than later.

Yeah, I can't wait to start making stuff. Just wish I had a mill... that's my next big purchase and hopefully sooner than later.
I really hope you make that purchase sooner ,these two machines (lathe & mill) compliment each other and make so many projects possible, my only recommendation is to get the biggest mill that fit in your shop and your budget.

That carriage lock you mentioned is one easy fun project, easier if you had a mill, so is the carriage stop, QCTP tool holder , ,there's no end to what we can make as we gain experience .

If you replace/change the tailstock, keep in mind it is (theoretically) registered to the headstock center. It must always be true to the headstock for the lathe to cut square.

I didn't read all the posts , but it looks like your tool is to high to cut correctly. Is your tool bit on center and it needs to be turned a bit to the left it's to flat to the face to to do facing . It's rubbing not cutting . As for the dial it's probably the lock screw for it , missing part or lost . Threading dial may be loose , look for lock pin or set screw. Good luck have fun BE SAFE

I didn't read all the posts , but it looks like your tool is to high to cut correctly. Is your tool bit on center and it needs to be turned a bit to the left it's to flat to the face to to do facing . It's rubbing not cutting . As for the dial it's probably the lock screw for it , missing part or lost . Threading dial may be loose , look for lock pin or set screw. Good luck have fun BE SAFE

The tool is centered using the dead center on the tailstock.

I tried facing today with the leadscrew on neutral. It cut perfectly. I tried turning and I can't get a smooth finish for my life, though. Can't wait to get my carriage lock tomorrow.

I think you may do better with high speed tool bits , what metal are you cutting ? High speed cutters take less force to cut . There ground with relief angles to slice the metal . Most carbide require more force with very little relief on the inserts. For brass and aluminum I use a rounded high speed bit . Sometimes very small radius will help with the finish. Have you cked the gibs on the lathe if the slide or cross slide are loose nothing will cut cleanly.

I think you may do better with high speed tool bits , what metal are you cutting ? High speed cutters take less force to cut . There ground with relief angles to slice the metal . Most carbide require more force with very little relief on the inserts. For brass and aluminum I use a rounded high speed bit . Sometimes very small radius will help with the finish. Have you cked the gibs on the lathe if the slide or cross slide are loose nothing will cut cleanly.

I'm cutting mild steel. I have HSS blanks, but I still don't know how to cut them yet. I don't know what gibs are as of now and no idea how to check them. I"ve got the lathe torn apart for cleaning.

Back