Two model steam engines (wobbler & spool valve)

Racer57

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been working along on my project motors. These came from mrpete (tubalcane) on youtube. I used his plans and guidance to start then I moved on to match my skills and tools.

There first was a wobbler motor. It went pretty well. There are a few warts but I was able to work around them. The biggest is a mismatch on one screw on the bottom bushing. I followed some old advise that went. "If they bend over to look kick them in the butt and they will stop" I spent a lot of time getting the two mating sides correct. I ended up chucking the block into the lathe on the rotating pin and taking very light cuts. Then lapping them in with 400 emery paper. It runs down to a pressure that is low enough that it doesn't register on the regulator gauge.

Wobbler 1.jpg
View attachment wobbler 2.MOV

The next was a spool valve motor. It also went well. This was my first attempt at doing an eccentric. It only took two tries. I am still trying to figure out the brain cramp on the first attempt. The biggest oops was a bad dimension on the spool valve. It is closer to the center than planned by .30". This caused an issue with the bearing. The original was a bushing. There was no way to get good radial control in .25". I ended up replacing it with a ball bearing. After that it runs great. Again. it runs at the lowest pressure that I can create using my current regulator.

My next project will be Engine #7 from PM Model Engines. That will definitely keep in the shop for a few days.

Will

spool 1.jpg
View attachment Spool 2.MOV

Those are some nice running models.
great job
It won't be long until you will be making internal combustion engines.

Ray

Back