Types of Oil for Craftsman 12" (101.27430) Lathe

If markba663csi's chart is correctly correlated to your machine, it calls out an SAE 20 machine oil. Anything you're going to purchase in reasonable quantity is probably not going to have an SAE rating on it, or if it does, it'll be ISO first. SAE 20 kind of splits ISO 46 and ISO 68. (Or else it's "compressor oil", which you don't want). Looking at that application list, I'd probably be inclined to go with the 68. You won't be wrong either way.

From the description of your bearing's oiling system, it is what's properly called a "Total Loss Oiling System". That google's well, although it sounds like you've got the idea. In some areas it seems it's common to call it a "Loss Oiling System". Which is fine if you're on the same page, but for search purposes... There you go. Then call it whatever you like.

As for the oil running through... You "probably" want to find a manual, as a bearing in that sort of arrangement "probably" has some sort of fiber wick, or felt, which would hold the oil back, so that it will be constantly oiled during the interval between refills. I say "probably", as I'm not familiar with these, but I can't recall any substantial bearing being oiled this way that didn't have such a feature.

Velocite No. 6 is good for the Timken bearings. From experience I know that 68 is okay too, a little on the thick side for bearing oil and a little thin for way oil, so it's a good one size fits all oil for Atlas/Craftsman lathes.

If you only want to keep one oil can, use ISO 68 for everything. If you keep two oil cans, use Vactra No. 2 for the ways and Velocite No. 6 for the spindle bearings.

If markba663csi's chart is correctly correlated to your machine, it calls out an SAE 20 machine oil. ...
My younger brothers name was Jake M. and today would have been his birthday. He was killed on his way home from work one night about two weeks after his 22nd birthday. He would have been 32 today. Crazy. I appreciate your well thought out response. Also really appreciate your warning about not using compressor oil. I just picked up a jug from harbor freight. Was the only non-detergent oil I could find local.

Thanks again... Jake M.

John

Velocite No. 6 is good for the Timken bearings. From experience I know that 68 is okay too, a little on the thick side for bearing oil and a little thin for way oil, so it's a good one size fits all oil for Atlas/Craftsman lathes.....
I picked up three oil cans today. One for cutting oil and two for oiling the lathe. So let's forget about the cutting oil I already have a dripper for that. So I have three oil pumper cans. I'll get some Velocite No. 6 for the bearings and some Vactra No. 2 for the ways. Should I use something else for all of other oil ports on the spindle shafts without bearings, lead screws, threading gear shafts etc...?

Doing a little research earlier today I found a brand of oil which is a ways oil and is ISO 68 but says equivalent to Vactra no. 2. Are ISO 68 and Vactra no. 2 the same?

Thank you,
John

John: Sorry about your brother- The oil cups on your machine should have felt plugs in them to slow the flow- check that they
are intact and haven't been removed-

Personally I don't see a problem with using a thicker oil to slow down the loss somewhat, but definitely not grease
If you were routinely using high spindle speeds you would want to stay with the thinner oil, even though it may sling it all over you
Machining is messy! (but fun)

I've owned two lathes with greased tapered rollers.

My current one will turn 2200rpm and the grease needs changed every 1500hrs.

Its simply a tapered roller bearing, not rocket science.

Screen-Shot-04-17-17-at-12.35-PM-1.jpg

Last edited:
Some machines may use grease; Atlas traditionally used oil
Do whatever you like with your machine

I was directed to the attached file in a FB group yesterday evening. I've ordered some of the appropriate oil for the timken bearings. I'll be order the rest of what I can't find locally later today. Lot's of lubes for these machines. Crazy!

Attachments

• Atlas Lathe Lubrication Rev B.pdf
    313.4 KB · Views: 3
I ordered from ebay (toolguys2) one gallon of Mobil Velocite No. 10, one gallon of Vactra #2 Way Oil and from lelubricants.com a Tube of 5182 Open Gear Grease. I'll use from harborfreight non-detergent compressor oil for all other points calling for sae 20. Thinking I have it all covered. Thanks again!

Back