Ugly Duckling, Wilton Vise Restoration 2

Update:
I did manage a little progress on the vise today 2nd coat of primer applied.
Primer .jpeg
I decided to prime the innards of the swivel base as these parts had been badly rusted and being its a rare base type, I want to give it the best chance of survival over the next 70 years...

Any chance you want to sell it?
I'll see if I can find it, but not sure if I want to part with it as it would be the only touch-up paint I have. If I have more than one can I'll send it your way.

I'll see if I can find it, but not sure if I want to part with it as it would be the only touch-up paint I have. If I have more than one can I'll send it your way.
I forgot to look this morning before I left for work, In the meantime I looked on the net and found this:

Perhaps NOS?

I also saw a can listed on eBay for $125! Talk about price gouging, sheesh...

Anyway I'll look when I get home.

I saw the eBay price - and promptly gagged a little...
Also saw the other one - going to try to order some through there - 1 can as I half expect to lose the $...(too good to be true kind of thing)

ETA - I checked on that company - really bad rep as scammers - China based & the drop down for "Country/Region" gives only one choice...Haiti.
Nope!

Still looking

Last edited:
Several of us waiting for that spray paint to be available again….

First coat of paint, Rust Oleum Hammered Gray.
tempImageD21b44.jpg
I'll give it a second coat tomorrow then let it cure for a couple of days before final assembly.
IMG_5637.jpeg
I made a new cross bar for the screw. I still have to make new nuts for the swivel base.

I saw the eBay price - and promptly gagged a little...
Also saw the other one - going to try to order some through there - 1 can as I half expect to lose the $...(too good to be true kind of thing)

ETA - I checked on that company - really bad rep as scammers - China based & the drop down for "Country/Region" gives only one choice...Haiti.
Nope!

Still looking
I found 1 full can and one partially used can of the Hammered Verde Green, I suppose I could part with the full can and save the partial can for touch ups.

Update:
The restoration is basically complete.
Wilton C1 - 3.jpeg
I had a little mishap. The heads on the 10/32 screws I wanted to use to attach the "Horseshoe washer" were too big. I found out the hard way as first one I tried to install, scratched the barrel of the lead screw assembly :( I had to turn down the heads, turning them from pan heads to fillister heads. I could take the screw apart and clean it up, but I think I'll leave it as a reminder to be more carful in the future...
Wilton C1 - 4.jpeg
I also turned down the height of the new cap screws, for mounting the jaws, so they avoid getting chewed up.
Wilton C1 - 5.jpeg
I made a couple of new cap nuts for the swivel base, lock screws, out of some SS hex bar I had.
Wilton C1 - 6.jpeg
Wilton C1 - 7.jpeg
I decided to keep the original jaws for now as they are still serviceable. Though I may grind the tops to clean them up a bit.
I didn't cross drill the cap nuts for the swivel base as I hate those cross-bar arrangements. I would rather, simply use a wrench.
I'd say I have about 12 hours into it. I bought from McMaster: the ball ends for the handle, new carriage bolts for the swivel base and new pins to retain the bell end. Everything else I had on hand, oh I bought a can of primer too.

Last edited:
Back