UK YouTube Machinist fashion

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This isn’t necessarily valuable information. But I watch a lot more machining than I do. I think I’ve noticed something, that’s got me curious. Like a I say, I “think” I’ve noticed something. It seems to me that some content creators (or at least several) in the UK wear some sort of coverall one piece uniform while working.
I bought myself an apron, and can’t even be bothered to use it. So I don’t imagine I’d wrestle my butt into a one piece suit. But what do they call that thing? It seems like, assuming it’s used, it would be a lot better than an apron.

They aren’t like lab coats are they? Used those back in college and they sucked. I love my new shop apron and truly feel naked without it. Mostly because of the pockets with all my marking tools along with my trusty 6” trisquare and tape measure.

Coveralls seems right. The image search seems right. Silly question I know. I only ever used insulated coveralls. And it was to stay warm more than keep my clothes protected. We have UK members on the forum. I guess the right question might have been what do you the UK members call them?

Coveralls seems right. The image search seems right. Silly question I know. I only ever used insulated coveralls. And it was to stay warm more than keep my clothes protected. We have UK members on the forum. I guess the right question might have been what do you the UK members call them?

Boiler suit ?

Stu

or overalls ?

Last edited:
they are a ROYAL pain to get on over clothes, but they do protect your street clothes.
I don't have one, but I used to have a single piece insulated for working outside, before I put on weight, and when it used to be cold regularly, and when I didn't have a garage and had to get under the car out in a parking lot.

Also if you had shoulders rebuilt like I have, it would make it especially hard.

I reckon that’s it. Where I’m from overalls are called bibs, and just come with straps over your shoulders. Coveralls are for winter and have insulation. Regional dialect definition I guess.

Back