UK YouTube Machinist fashion

Europeans have a completely different fashion sense when it comes to workwear. Americans dress like cowboys or ranch hands if they can get away with it, but Europeans like more uniform styled outfits that they wear with some amount of pride as tradesmen.

articles_thumbnail_Fug6rWXe1g.jpg

I wear overalls in the winter, but I wear coveralls when I crawl under cars.

This isn’t necessarily valuable information. But I watch a lot more machining than I do. I think I’ve noticed something, that’s got me curious. Like a I say, I “think” I’ve noticed something. It seems to me that some content creators (or at least several) in the UK wear some sort of coverall one piece uniform while working.
I bought myself an apron, and can’t even be bothered to use it. So I don’t imagine I’d wrestle my butt into a one piece suit. But what do they call that thing? It seems like, assuming it’s used, it would be a lot better than an apron.
If they do not have the arms and the front flap comes up with what represents suspenders those are Bib Overalls, if they cover full top that would be coveralls.

They aren’t like lab coats are they? Used those back in college and they sucked. I love my new shop apron and truly feel naked without it. Mostly because of the pockets with all my marking tools along with my trusty 6” trisquare and tape measure.
Mr. Crispin wears a heavy duty labcoat and my engineer friends in UK manufacturing jobs regularly wear similar labcoats.

In the late 70’s & 80’s I regularly wore a short labcoat at Hershey when out in the plant; if I was working (product testing, crawling around equipment) I wore a lightweight jumpsuit. Now, just about everyone (from the Plant Manager down) wears jumpsuits all of the time.

Left to right in my world:
Business suit, overalls, scrubs, coveralls, skirt suit, workout outfit, smock, pantsuit
ymmv

Tom
L-R in my world:

Wants to be middle management
Wants to be a plumber
Is a proctologist and is a fun date
He’s here to fix your stove
Flight attendant
Stay at home student
Plays doctor on tv
Human Resources at an industrial pickle plant

An Englishman here - we’d call them ‘overalls’ as in they go over all of your clothes.

The only time I’ve ever heard people call them boiler suits is when they’re not talking about clothing for work, but for ‘style’ instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple sets of surplus German army tank driver's coveralls that I use all the time in cold weather (And yes, it does get cold in NW Florida, sometimes). Lots of zippers, flaps, and pockets - They're just the thing for outdoors automotive work, which is the only type I do.
I think they look quite dashing - They certainly look better than wearing a canvas apron over shorts and sneakers, which is my normal machine shop wear during the rest of the year.
I worked as a mechanic for many years, and coveralls were just normal daily fashion.

My grandpa (American) wore coveralls 6.5 days per week (IOW every waking hour that he wasn't at church) and he was retired. That was just his "style" I guess. Not sure why, they are a pain in the butt.
Europeans have a completely different fashion sense when it comes to workwear. Americans dress like cowboys or ranch hands if they can get away with it, but Europeans like more uniform styled outfits that they wear with some amount of pride as tradesmen.
I used to work with a bunch of Norwegians. Their workwear was comical to behold at first because it has pockets on the outside of the pants, kind of looks like a "tutu" around the waist. But after I got used to seeing it I developed a sort of envy. Very handy, very practical. I would totally wear them if they wouldn't get me laughed off job sites.

When I started out as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic many moons ago, We wore "Coveralls" You put them on over your clothes and took them off at the end of your shift. They were not insulated at all. They were a blue color sort of the same color as an older Enco lathe. I hated wearing them. But they did keep your street clothes clean. After I left that job, The other places I worked issued uniforms, Much better in my book, Put them on when you get to work and take them off before you leave.

Back