Uncovered an interesting micro-lathe

bythelake

Registered
Registered
Still lathe-less as my Grizzly lathe remains on back-order (I hope to receive it by summer). Meanwhile, while cleaning an elderly relative's garage, I uncovered an interesting micro-lathe. I'm interested in what this community knows about it.

I saw no model number, only the name Unimat. After some searching online, I've seen a few similar models. Will do more digging shortly.

I didn't have time to pack it up and haul it 2500 miles back home, but I do plan on getting it within a year. Would be nice to tear it down and give it a thorough cleaning and re-lubricating. Has a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, a live center, and a Jacob's chuck.

What a beautiful little beast.

20240328_152220.jpg
20240328_152228.jpg
20240328_152302.jpg

@bythelake,
You have found a beautiful example of a Unimat SB200
I have one in the same condition.
They are capable machines.
I made a few videos (24) hacking on different materials with my SL1000 ( European version of the DB200)

Last edited:
That is a DB-200, or at least that's what they used to call it
Some nice accessories with it too
I have a very old one from the 50s

Thanks so much for the replies. I am interested in learning more about when they were made and what the target audience was.

My assumption was that these were targeted at the home tinkerer. I will review the video in the link provided, thanks so much for your responses.

After some quick reads at the links provided, I'm falling in love with this little machine. I see that some models flipped from lathe into a tiny vertical mill, too. Must have been a wonderful tool for the tinkerers to make all sorts of things with.

Now I'm binge watching these videos. I blamed all of you when my wife wanted to know why I hadn't taken out the trash yet.

After some quick reads at the links provided, I'm falling in love with this little machine. I see that some models flipped from lathe into a tiny vertical mill, too.
You have one of those models that turns into a mini mill!
I can’t tell by the pictures, but you appear to have the riser, but i don’t see the slotted table attachment that is installed on the cross slide to provide a working surface with clamping capability

You appear to have many accessories in the box , notably the grinding wheel attachment and the 4jaw independent chuck.
It also appears that you may have a rotary table attachment, but i can’t be certain from the picture 2

Back