Unheated shop rust prevention

Along with the rust preventative products a ceiling fan in my shop made a huge difference for me.

Along with the rust preventative products a ceiling fan in my shop made a huge difference for me.
This is the recommendation I'd make. Not a complete prevention, but the air flow helps prevent condensation of moisture on things.
I insulated my shop, but still run a small fan and haven't had hardly any rust issues except where the airflow can't get to like under my milling vise and under the saddle of my lathe. I try and keep a light coating of oil in these areas where possible.

Dehumidifiers only work if there is heat, if the area is unheated they won't work. Moisture gets trapped and condenses under plastic so creates more problem than it solves. I've tried all the different oils and sprays, the only thing that consistently works is paralketone, it's like cosmoline. you can get it from aircraft supply outfits like Aircraft Spruce or WagAero, It can be brushed on straight or mixed with paint thinner and spayed on. I use it on my floatplane which is operated in salt water exclusively. It's messy and a pain to remove, but it works.
I built covers from cardboard with wood frames to cover each of my tools and put in a ceramic 50 watt heater that fits in a standard light socket. Used to use 100 watt light bulbs but you cann't get them anymore and the heaters last a lot longer. Just need to keep the temp of the tool above ambient air temp so the moisture in the air doesn't condense on the tool. I can just take the cover off and the tool is ready to go without having to clean the gunk from it. 60% humidity is dry here.

In an unheated shop, do no cover the equipment. When the moisture condenses on the equipment, the moisture is held around the equipment by the cover and make the problem much worse. Now if you were to put a heat source under the cover like psgflier recommends, that should work great.

I've used most of the spray lubricants and rust preventive coatings but the best thing I did was install 2 large ceiling fans that run continuously in my shop. Keeping the air moving makes it harder to condense on my equipment during large temperature changes.

Yup, ceiling, or floor fans, anything that keeps the air moving will dramatically reduce rusting IME. Even in an unheated, leaky shop with wild temp swings air movement will make a large difference.

Rust, what is that?
One beautiful thing about California.
That Ontario place looks really cold. :)

Another vote here for dehumidifier and good ventilation in a climate controlled shop. Outside the shop Fluid Film or other auto rust prevention products like Rust Check, etc. The creamy stuff is especially good in trailer wiring connectors to prevent corrosion.

Now if you were to put a heat source under the cover like psgflier recommends, that should work great.

That's how I get around the rust problem on my lathe. A tarpaulin over the machine and a small 40W tubular heater mounted on a block of wood resting on the ways. Costs next to nothing to run and keeps my machine nice and warm. It also acts as a nice hand warmer when i'm using the lathe in winter!

I also stick some silica gel in the tool chest which does a good job of keeping the spanners, screwdrivers etc. rust free. If I've got the furnace on at around 100 deg C I can then dry the silica gel periodically.

I have an unheated shop in Ontario and use electric heaters mostly , I do have one propane heater with a blower but it only goes on for 10 minutes to get the chill out ,any longer than that it will create a lot of moisture on metal surfaces so 10 min. intervals is the only way I know to keep the moisture in check.
During the night I set up a small electric heater on a timer that goes on /off hourly. it blows hot air around the shop and keeps the place around 60°F all night. I have no rust on any of the metal surfaces and the once a year wax goes a long way to keep the tools rust free.

My shop is mostly unheated, have a 30K BTU propane heater that heats up my 32' x 40' shop about 30 F above ambient in 45 minutes but only run it in a pinch. I have 2 ceiling fans that turn 24/7/365 as mentioned above, keep the air moving. I spray down most iron with LPS1 as I picked up over 5 gallons of it at an auction years ago. LPS3 would work better, but I'm pretty rust free with just air movement and LPS1.

I also have a plastic Folgers can with way oil and a paint brush. Really slather it on the lathe beds, chucks, compound, etc. and mill tables. I use Johnson's paste wax on my cast iron table saw. I always dread spring when the cold mornings give me a wet floor in the shop from condensation, but knock on wood, tools are rust free.

Bruce

Back