Update on my fire insurance contents settlement.

Senna

Deceased
Rest In Peace
This Winter has kicked my fanny with regard to getting the stuff out of my burned up shop but a month or so ago I had compiled a list of the unburied items that I would like to be paid for.
The list was sent to Enservio, a firm which does content valuation. They had some questions but overall that process went well.
Enservio (thank you Ms. Vardy!) completed their valuation with the help of some machinery experts and sent their completed work to the ins co.
I just got off the phone with my adjuster at State Auto. He told me that he signed off on the list and that the dollar amount they will pay for all of my contents is an incredible $85,000 and change!
Now, I would have greatly preferred not to have my stuff destroyed but it was and this is what insurance is for.

On my list which I sent to Enservio I put my own rough valuations on most of the items based upon what I see similar stuff selling for on the used market. Enservio completely disregarded my valuations and decided that my stuff was worth far more than what I thought it was worth!

I have nothing but praise for my adjuster, Paul Sandstrom, the nice folks at Enservio (especially Ms. Vardy), and State Auto in general!

Thank goodness we were forced to buy a farm policy from State Auto due to the acreage we're on. I think that being a farm policy really helped me out. My conjecture is that farm policies assume that there will be a lot of equipment stored in the outbuildings and therefore the content coverage is very high.

Given everything which has happened since the fire I could not be happier.

Now I can set my sights a bit higher when looking for replacements for my machinery!

Thats really good to hear Ken! Good luck with your machinery searching, you can be picky now.
Phil.

Phil,

Thanks for the post here.

On my longish short list of lathes I'm looking for I have several which were made in the UK.

Smart & Brown
Holbrook
Dean, Smith, & Grace
Or the higher grades of Colchester lathes

Heck, I'm feeling flush right now so if you know where a Holbrook Major or a DSG is I'd even explore getting one shipped across the pond.

Ken, that's a big hurdle to get past! Glad it worked out for you after such a tragedy.
Best of luck with the new search for machines.
Larry

This is one of few times I would be happy no one listened to my opinion. ahahaha. I dont know what was lost, but I know what I could buy. Good for you man

Oh boy, am I gonna have fun shopping for machinery with a large wad of cash in my pocket!:))

Thanks to all of you guys.

Congratulations! I'm happy that thing turned out so well for you, and it is always nice to hear of a generous settlement of a claim with no fighting back and forth.
Michael

Oh boy, am I gonna have fun shopping for machinery with a large wad of cash in my pocket!:))

Thanks to all of you guys.

Maybe you should invest some of that money in a sprinkler system for the new shop :)

Great to hear things worked out for you. To often it seems to go in the opposite direction when dealing with insurance companies.
I know you'll have fun spending all that money.

Ken--you better get that new shop built fast or you will have to build it around all your new purchases--did they pay you for your shop building or garage also? remember to build the shop first and large enough----Dave

Back