URGENTLY REQUEST FOR A BEGINNER.......beep.....beep....Forum? I have a problem!

Manuel

Registered
Registered
Dear Friends.

I have one question from Mexico City.

AS you know I am retired and I have many, many time. Therefore I will buy a lathe and I am thinking in HARBOR FREIGHT or GRIZZLY G8688 7x12 both. I think that G8688 is better that Harbor Freight but I need your advice.
Besides, as beginner I need that you recomend me some tools "kit", mills, gauges, live centers, etc, etc, some vernier and micrometer in order to accomplish a "small" tools kit with some screwdrivers, allen keys, etc, etc.
I insisit in a little kit that you recomend me for a beginner.

REgards.
Manuel Fernandez V.

Buenos dias Manuel- si Grizzly is a bit better than Harbor Freight in my opinion
You can find many inexpensive tools on Ebay, also in Mexico city there may be shops to buy tools
-Mark

X 2 on Grizzly over Horrible Fright. I have a Grizzly 9 X 19 from way back that has given good service. As far as tooling goes, what you need for the lathe will probably come with the lathe when you buy from Grizzly. Maybe a set of basic cutters until you learn to grind what you need.

Measuring tools are subjective. What you are building will determine how much accuracy you need. I use dial calipers most of the time. And have a micrometer handy for when I need it. A "fish tail" for setting up threading cutters. And a 6 inch scale about covers the minimum. Wrenches and screwdrivers will be covered with generic household or automotive tool kits. Although I would suggest the specific wrenches for the lathe stay with the lathe.

I have literally hundreds of dollars invested in machine tooling. But each item was for a specific task and was found as and when I needed it. Each hobbyist will have different needs. For a professional, there are dozens of start-up tools necessary. For a "beginning" hobbyist, the list is not near as long. I build (small, HO) model trains. The items I use for that are about as non-standard as you can get.

I apologize for my lack of language skills. I tried to learn Japanese when I was working in the Pacific. But my southern accent spoiled any attempts at that. And English is the language of electricity, so I stick with that. So, I speak only three languages; English, Electricity, and Computers.

Besides, as beginner I need that you recomend me some tools "kit", mills, gauges, live centers, etc, etc, some vernier and micrometer in order to accomplish a "small" tools kit with some screwdrivers, allen keys, etc, etc

Dial calipers,
Carpenters level, Machinist rule, machinist square, 45º and 30º blocks, 1-2-3 blocks
7/16" or 1/2" clamping kit
at least 2 dial indicators, one with adjustable magnetic base, one with magnetic back.
Set of HSS cutting bits {turn to the left, turn to the right, face left, face right, cutoff bit}
Brass/Lead hammer
Coarse, medium, fine flat files
WD40 plus Cutting fluid
115 drill bits (cobalt)
set of taps, tap handle,
set of dies, die wrench,
Set of screwdrivers
Set of wrenches
Set of sockets
assortment of various nuts, bolts, washers, threaded rods

Welcome to the group Manuel!

Much of this will depend on what projects you are going to do.
What are some of your projects?

-brino

Hello Manuel,
Welcome to the website!
In addition to tools you may be interested in books that describe the lathe operation. The most widely recommended book is How to Run a Lathe by South Bend machine works. This book may be available on Ebay or Amazon.Com. Another book is written by Harold Hall and is published by Fox Chapel Publishing. The book title is Metal Lathe for Home Machinists. I found my copy on Amazon. Com., which has been a good source for books.

I am not sure there is a particular "kit" for starting machinists or any machinist! I would start with a digital caliper, an oil dispensing can, a machine tool cleaning brush, dead blow hammer and some typical shop tools as Markba633csi has pointed out. I would recommend waiting until you know what sizes your intended machine uses before buying lathe centers etc.

You have entered into a facinating hobby and joined the best website. This group includes professional machinists and beginners that are willing to help each other, there is no such thing as a "stupid question" here.

Have a good day
Ray

X 2 on Grizzly over Horrible Fright. I have a Grizzly 9 X 19 from way back that has given good service. As far as tooling goes, what you need for the lathe will probably come with the lathe when you buy from Grizzly. Maybe a set of basic cutters until you learn to grind what you need.

Measuring tools are subjective. What you are building will determine how much accuracy you need. I use dial calipers most of the time. And have a micrometer handy for when I need it. A "fish tail" for setting up threading cutters. And a 6 inch scale about covers the minimum. Wrenches and screwdrivers will be covered with generic household or automotive tool kits. Although I would suggest the specific wrenches for the lathe stay with the lathe.

I have literally hundreds of dollars invested in machine tooling. But each item was for a specific task and was found as and when I needed it. Each hobbyist will have different needs. For a professional, there are dozens of start-up tools necessary. For a "beginning" hobbyist, the list is not near as long. I build (small, HO) model trains. The items I use for that are about as non-standard as you can get.

I apologize for my lack of language skills. I tried to learn Japanese when I was working in the Pacific. But my southern accent spoiled any attempts at that. And English is the language of electricity, so I stick with that. So, I speak only three languages; English, Electricity, and Computers.

Mr.Hudson.....
Thanks, thanks and thanks!!!!!

Dial calipers,
Carpenters level, Machinist rule, machinist square, 45º and 30º blocks, 1-2-3 blocks
7/16" or 1/2" clamping kit
at least 2 dial indicators, one with adjustable magnetic base, one with magnetic back.
Set of HSS cutting bits {turn to the left, turn to the right, face left, face right, cutoff bit}
Brass/Lead hammer
Coarse, medium, fine flat files
WD40 plus Cutting fluid
115 drill bits (cobalt)
set of taps, tap handle,
set of dies, die wrench,
Set of screwdrivers
Set of wrenches
Set of sockets
assortment of various nuts, bolts, washers, threaded rods
Mr. Mitch.
Thanks I appreciate your comments. For my your comments will be law

Buenos dias Manuel- si Grizzly is a bit better than Harbor Freight in my opinion
You can find many inexpensive tools on Ebay, also in Mexico city there may be shops to buy tools
-Mark
Thanks Mark.......

Your Japanese is better than my english!!! jejejeje bye and thanks

Back