URGENTLY REQUEST FOR A BEGINNER.......beep.....beep....Forum? I have a problem!

Manuel, welcome to the site.
So much depends on what you want to make. A 7 X 12 is extremely limited. For me, it would be too limited.
This lathe has an imperial (inch) lead screw. So you will have to use change gears for threading if you work in metric.
Absolute minimum to get started: Safety glasses, digital caliper, some HSS tooling (Grizzly 8 pc. 5/16 mini set?) some way of sharpening the tooling, a 60 degree center drill, drill chuck for the tail stock, (screw machine?) drill bit set (these are short bits which might be better for a short lathe), a small HSS boring bar, some aluminum (or plastic) bar stock to practice on, WD40 or similar to use on the aluminum, some fine (single cut) files with handles.

If you find you want/need other tools later, there is a very long list to choose from. Have fun!

Welcome to the group Manuel!

Much of this will depend on what projects you are going to do.
What are some of your projects?

-brino
Thanks Brino.
But I think that I will start with BASIC operations with soft metals (aluminum, bronze) and plastics for many time until I domine BASIC lathe operations.
After that I would think around small steam engines as WILESCO TOYS (German).
But I must repeat after I domine basic lathe operations and something more, much more.
I am mechanical engineer and all my profesional expertise was around thermoelectrical plants as budget director or purchases director (turbines, power trafos, pumps (cep, bfw, etc) HRSG, steam turbines, steam generator, etc) When I was in the University I was "good" in lathe and mill practices but this was around 40 years ago!!!!
Now with many time for me and with my sons studyng in Europe you must undersatnd that I have many, many time.
But I repeat. Only basic operatcions in this first step.
thanks and regards.....Sorry for me Shakesperian english.

Dear Friends.

I have one question from Mexico City.

AS you know I am retired and I have many, many time. Therefore I will buy a lathe and I am thinking in HARBOR FREIGHT or GRIZZLY G8688 7x12 both. I think that G8688 is better that Harbor Freight but I need your advice.
Besides, as beginner I need that you recomend me some tools "kit", mills, gauges, live centers, etc, etc, some vernier and micrometer in order to accomplish a "small" tools kit with some screwdrivers, allen keys, etc, etc.
I insisit in a little kit that you recomend me for a beginner.

REgards.
Manuel Fernandez V.
I have spent some very enjoyable times in Mexico City, I love it and I know it is a big place. in your place, I would be very conscious of which supplier could offer me the best support should there be problems with the machine you receive. I own some Grizzly equipment and for me, here in the states they have been great to deal with. I say that because when I had a problem they were responsive, caring and quick to resolve my problem. Both machines I purchased were "made in Taiwan at I.S.O. Certified factory". While I'd rather have a machine made on our own continent, I have some Taiwanese made USA branded equipment which has served me well for over 30 years now. Lower purchase price provides accessibility when there otherwise would not be for many of us. I feel like a company like Grizzly (and others) are providing the only practical way forward for many hobbyists and deserve our business if the innovate and support us.
i am happy for your opportunity to have the retirement and time for this and hope you can share some of your experiences with us.

I have spent some very enjoyable times in Mexico City, I love it and I know it is a big place. in your place, I would be very conscious of which supplier could offer me the best support should there be problems with the machine you receive. I own some Grizzly equipment and for me, here in the states they have been great to deal with. I say that because when I had a problem they were responsive, caring and quick to resolve my problem. Both machines I purchased were "made in Taiwan at I.S.O. Certified factory". While I'd rather have a machine made on our own continent, I have some Taiwanese made USA branded equipment which has served me well for over 30 years now. Lower purchase price provides accessibility when there otherwise would not be for many of us. I feel like a company like Grizzly (and others) are providing the only practical way forward for many hobbyists and deserve our business if the innovate and support us.
i am happy for your opportunity to have the retirement and time for this and hope you can share some of your experiences with us.
thanks.....thanks and thanks....Yes.....Mexico City is a great city.....with many trafic problems, polution and with the "best", "wonderful", number one", "smart" police and politicians departments. Jejejeje. But here you will find wonderful restaurants, magnificent hotels, marvelous museums....and our calid and worker people!!!!

Manuel, welcome to the site.
So much depends on what you want to make. A 7 X 12 is extremely limited. For me, it would be too limited.
This lathe has an imperial (inch) lead screw. So you will have to use change gears for threading if you work in metric.
Absolute minimum to get started: Safety glasses, digital caliper, some HSS tooling (Grizzly 8 pc. 5/16 mini set?) some way of sharpening the tooling, a 60 degree center drill, drill chuck for the tail stock, (screw machine?) drill bit set (these are short bits which might be better for a short lathe), a small HSS boring bar, some aluminum (or plastic) bar stock to practice on, WD40 or similar to use on the aluminum, some fine (single cut) files with handles.

If you find you want/need other tools later, there is a very long list to choose from. Have fun!
THANKS. thanks and thanks...........bye.........

thanks.....thanks and thanks....Yes.....Mexico City is a great city.....with many trafic problems, polution and with the "best", "wonderful", number one", "smart" police and politicians departments. Jejejeje. But here you will find wonderful restaurants, magnificent hotels, marvelous museums....and our calid and worker people!!!!
I spent some days during the "day of the dead" there and had so much fun and yes, for sure, wonderful food of all kinds and fantastic people. It has been more than 25 years since I have been In Mexico and I miss it. I feel fortunate that my son was also able to go there for work recently and came back with a really great appreciation for your country and culture.

I have never been there for vacation, always working with people who had the same goals as I. as such I have never experienced Mexico in the way some others have. In my working experience, travel was both the bad thing and the wonderful thing, it is the thing I miss most!

Manuel: you may find a 7x12 lathe too short to accommodate a drill chuck and standard jobber length drill bits. Ditto using reamers.
I would look for a longer machine at least 14 to 16 inches or more.
-Mark

Manuel: you may find a 7x12 lathe too short to accommodate a drill chuck and standard jobber length drill bits. Ditto using reamers.
I would look for a longer machine at least 14 to 16 inches or more.
-Mark
Yes, some people say me that mínimum, mínimum 7x14 and Grizzly has a lathe. Thanks

Back