Used PM1236 - Bargain??

btim

Registered
Registered
Hello all. New the forum. New to machining. Have a small Craftsman 109 that was given to me. Been keeping an eye on FB Marketplace and this showed up. It's a great deal (10% of a new one!). I jumped when I saw it and got first in line for it. Planning a meet this week. But I'm a bit concerned about the amount of rust and apparent lack of original tooling. So i'm looking at considerable additional cost to be able to do some basic things.

What would your do? Buy the bargain or Back away?

IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg

Welcome to HM!

I'd take a very close look, surface rust shouldn't be an issue but deep corrosion of the ways could be a dealbreaker. Evaporust is your friend, they make a gel formula that works great.
Please, take more pictures and keep us posted!

Hm, what's his asking price ? If you pass , ....................................... :grin:

As long as the rust isn't too deep, it shouldn't be a problem.

I saw one up in NJ but not this one . I DID see a Hardinge HLV-H for under 9K . :encourage:

So, like 500$?- sure, that would be a deal. Not sure if they still sell that exact model but shouldn't matter that much.
You'll have to buy a steady rest- or make one, and do a little rust removal. Needs a tailstock chuck too, apparently
Make darn sure the gears in the head are good
Tis' a shame letting a machine go to "wrack and ruin" like that

Last edited:
Did they use it as an actual boat anchor? Sheesh.

If it's a good deal, maybe. Overall, the rust looks like it's mostly surface level, but inspect carefully. The 3-jaw looks pretty rusty. If the scroll and gripping surfaces are ok, it could be usable with a good bath in evaporust, disassembled. Then oil while assembling.

If this is not going into a climate controlled basement or garage , the rust wouldn't concern me . Being in Md. means oiling your machines every 2 days . That one warm day last month had the garage sweating like a sick ***** . I've just come to rest with the rust , thus my " Rusty Relics " site . :big grin:

Back