Used PM1236 - Bargain??

If it was me, I would be asking the question... If it has been allowed to get that bad through lack of use, how much abuse did it go through in use?

On top of that, make sure there is no deep pitting or damage to the ways. Surface rust is easily dealt with, pitting or damage on the ways is a deal-breaker.

Go look at it and check it out . If you're not sure , PM me . We'll check it out and head over to Buffalo Wild Wings or J&Ps . Westminster is in my scouting area , Daughter went to McDaniel for 7 years ! :grin: But seriously , I'm not looking for a lathe but would help you out if needed. :encourage:

Last edited:
Go look at it and check it out . If you're not sure , PM me . We'll check it out and head over to Buffalo Wild Wings or J&Ps . Westminster is in my scouting area , Daughter went to McDaniel for 7 years ! :grin: But seriously , I'm not looking for a lathe but would help you out if needed. :encourage:
Probably will be just fine with a little elbow grease. Take him up on this offer, can't go wrong with the right eyes on it.

John

This thing looks like it's been beat to death. Rust is one thing, but the backsplash is bent/damaged and the chip tray is full of crap, not rust. And this is just a quick glance at those pics.

Have fun.

And welcome to the forum. :)

I think it's just been neglected
Just like me ! :grin: I gave him my info and are connected by PMs and texts by phone . Chazz is coming here tomorrow but I can do both at this point . :) Tim will be going right by my house on his way to see this lathe . I told him to stop by . I have anything he'll need to move this thing easily . If Tom was not out west , we could stop in on him also !

Last edited:
Hello all. New the forum. New to machining. Have a small Craftsman 109 that was given to me. Been keeping an eye on FB Marketplace and this showed up. It's a great deal (10% of a new one!). I jumped when I saw it and got first in line for it. Planning a meet this week. But I'm a bit concerned about the amount of rust and apparent lack of original tooling. So i'm looking at considerable additional cost to be able to do some basic things.

What would your do? Buy the bargain or Back away?

View attachment 479187View attachment 479188View attachment 479189
See if it turns over and manually shift it through its gears with the top 2 knobs it'll feel chunky but once in each gear it should turn smoothly. in the lower ranges it'll turn hard. If it bumps or grinds like it is locking walk away unless you are prepared to go through the gear box because it may have been crashed. Look in the left hand cabinet and see what shape the change gears are in if the primary parts are all there at 10% it'll be a good buy, I have this exact lathe, 1200 pounds on the floor, I like mine a lot. Precision Mathews can help you with parts that are missing and you can download the manuals from their site.
So, like 500$?- sure, that would be a deal. Not sure if they still sell that exact model but shouldn't matter that much.
You'll have to buy a steady rest- or make one, and do a little rust removal. Needs a tailstock chuck too, apparently
Make darn sure the gears in the head are good
Tis' a shame letting a machine go to "wrack and ruin" like that
They still sell it...

Just like me ! :grin: I gave him my info and are connected by PMs and texts by phone . Chazz is coming here tomorrow but I can do both at this point . :) Tim will be going right by my house on his way to see this lathe . I told him to stop by . I have anything he'll need to move this thing easily . If Tom was not out west , we could stop in on him also !
FYI, its heavy, 1200 pounds...

Hehe , child's play . :grin:
If you are prepared for it.... :) If not it'll surprise you, I have the identical machine, bout a year old now, I hope this one is salvageable, he'll enjoy it....

Back