• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Uses for 1/50 hp Motor

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,
I made the mistake of buying off ebay a dc motor speed controller for my lathe without double checking what hp the controller was rated for. It arrived today, and now I see it is rated for only 1/50 hp. Can someone kindly tell me what shop equipment uses only 1/50hp? I now have to decide if I will sell this controller online, or by a 1/50hp motor.

Thanks in advance. This group is awesome for experienced advice :)

Susan

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
practical uses:
well with 1/50 hp motor, you could make a sharpening device for woodworking tools and use the motor as a powerplant
possibly design and build an automatic pet feeder...
as a drive motor for a pellet stove/BBQ pellet feed system

just plain goofy uses:
a variable speed disco ball turner
a Rube Goldberg egg frying device
playing card shuffler
playing card dealer
shoe buffer

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
What is the type and specs for the controller ??? I might be interested if you decide to sell.
It could be useful for some sort of small DC motor as a servo type drive for a quill downfeed or similar application.

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
IIRC, household sewing machines have something like 1/50 HP AC motors. So think of something about as powerful as a sewing machine. Or maybe think of what you can power with a DC motor about the size of your fist.

A "sensitive" drill press (say for ⅛" to #60 bits) comes to mind. I've seen a couple built by hobby machinists, and they're quite nice. Back in the days of through-hole component PC boards, one of these would have been the cat's meow.

markba633csi

Let us know before you buy electrical/mechanical goodies, we can advise on possible compatibility issues
Mark S.

Linghunt

practical uses:
well with 1/50 hp motor, you could make a sharpening device for woodworking tools and use the motor as a powerplant
possibly design and build an automatic pet feeder...
as a drive motor for a pellet stove/BBQ pellet feed system

just plain goofy uses:
a variable speed disco ball turner
a Rube Goldberg egg frying device
playing card shuffler
playing card dealer
shoe buffer
Pencil sharpener...

[6]
[5] [7]