Uses in the shop for Gear Oil?

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have eight of these left over from a case that I got when I had a boat that needed this oil. Sold the boat but still have these sitting around.

Is there any use in the shop for this? Otherwise I'll just see what I can get for them on Craigslist.

IMG_9722.jpg

If it is an EP oil, don't use it with bronze worm gears, it eats them up.

It is a GL-5 rated oil, the extreme pressure additives can be a problem with yellow metals, but they are only activated with heat. I used a similar (Amsoil) synthetic oil in my gear head mill and it was a significant improvement over stock gear oil with reduced heat and foaming. The Amsoil was for marine hypoid drives, but was not damaging to yellow metals. A 75W-90 is around an ISO 68 (46-100) depending on temperature. The issue with yellow metals is both under high pressure and heat the EP additives pulls the softer metals apart, but should not be a problem with sliding bearings. Probably work very well for the open gearbox of the 1340GT since it is ambient temperature and total loss system, but probably would not use it in the carriage although it should work ok. Be interesting to see how it works as a cutting oil. You could contact Lucas and ask about the issue with yellow metals, the other thing is limited slip differential oils behave a bit differently then standard oils which are actually too slippery to used in a limited slip with a clutch pack style.

Thanks Mark,

So you said you used a similar oil in your gear head mill. I've got a RF-45 mill that came with Mobil DTE 24 (ISO 32) for the gear head, so that's what's been in it and is there now. This would be significantly heavier. I've read posts here and other places that too heavy of an oil in a splash system will not reach where it needs to go. I would like to use this since I have it, but now I'm torn between the lighter DTE 24 and this 75-90.

As to the 1340GT Norton GB, I will definitely keep some then for the one shot oiler with the manifold you made!

Just spoke with Lucas, and they said this is not yellow metal safe. I'm waiting for a call back with the actual ISO rating, he didn't have it handy.

Update: So Lucas say's this should be around an ISO 150.

This should be too heavy for gear head use in the mill?

Last edited:
I would think you could use it in a bandsaw since there is little heat in those gearboxes

It is not an ISO 150. It is closer to an ISO 68, I indicated the range above based on the operating temperature and synthetics tend to be less viscous at lower temperatures. My previous gearhead mill topped out at 3000 RPM, they specified and ISO68 oil or a gear oil in the SAE80 range. This is also similar to what is recommend with the RF clones and the PM/QMT gear heads "Gearbox ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or (recommended) Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium circulating oil (about 3 qts".

I used the Amsoil marine gear oil (75W90) which is safe for yellow metals and aluminum and is resistant to water, and picked up about 300 RPM on the top end. Gear head mills are a bit different in that the oil submerges most of the gears and shear/foaming is a significant issue at the higher speeds. The RF-45 manual does not specify the oil viscosity in the headstock that I could find, others have listed ISO 46-68 range. Also depends on temperature, although less of an issue with synthetic oils. I would not use the Lucas oil in the mill headstock due to the issues with yellow metals.

Old post worth reading: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-45m-spindle-seals-replacement.28762/
.png

Attachments

• Amsoil Synthetic Marine Gear Lube.pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 5
It is not an ISO 150.
It seemed like a high ISO, but what do I know?

So it looks like the DTE 24 that's in the mill now is too light. I'll get some of the heavier DTE.

Thanks Mark!

P.S. I found a place in the RF-45 manual that specifies ISO 68.

Last edited:
Sell it to the guy who bought the boat....
I'm in N. Idaho, the guy that bought the boat lives in AZ! Came all the way up here to pick it up a few years ago. The power of Craigslist!

I decided that I would rather have the money from this oil towards the proper oil, and put it on Craigslist about 45 minutes ago, sold it already :)

Back