Using a file on a lathe

author=1200rpm link=topic=2547.msg17368#msg17368 date=1308956307
;D ;Dthere seems to be 2 schools on filing- linked directly to the machine being used. the old school machinist- this guy can use a completely worn out machine and it makes no difference to him- he whips out his file,takes a few swipes and nails it. then there is the newer school machinist- he rarely uses a file on the lathe nor does he have to- the machine is in top condition and perfect alignment- and he very carefully keeps it that way. oh yeah, then there is the hobbiest like me- this guy will chase his tail for hours trying to find that last couple tenths, ends up going undersize, then trys to make up for it on each sucessive part until ultimately it works out. ;D ::) :D

It has nothing to do with the machine or the person doing the filing, IMHO. A file is only another tool. It's not generally used to machine parts to size. It's only for removing that small burr when you don't want to change tools and do a full chamfer.

For my items, motorcycle and peripheral parts, most of which will be powdercoated, I don't need tenth's of thousandths. +/1 .001 is fine. The file has no part in that tolerance. It may break an edge here and there.

It's not a big deal, at least for me. Like I said, a file is only a tool. If you feel that it's unsafe, then don't use one. You'll have to figure out another way to remove the burrs, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
author=1200rpm link=topic=2547.msg17379#msg17379 date=1308960672
while i`m not an accomplished filer- it is certainly not just for removing burrs- some guys can actually make stuff with one and i believe used to be one of the first tools an apprentice learned- the guy i got my lathe from could use a file like you wouldn`t believe- an old tool and die maker, he was in his 90s and still sharp as a tack. he got a chuckle when i asked him what kind of tolerance the lathe could hold. " well, i know what it does when i use it " was his answer. :)

Well, of course....a file can be used to make things. We were talking about using one on a lathe, though.

I don't know if this was said above, but always, always, always have a handle on your files. Especially when using one on a lathe. Even one made out of a piece of wooden dowel rod is better than nothing.

Tubal Cain spoke of this, in this weeks newest vidios #48 I think.

I am having an Aussie stay here for a week and learn some things from me. I might ask him to sign a paper to not sue me if he gets hurt.

I have files that are specifically used on the lathe.

I have sawn the tangs completely off and rounded over the area it was taken off from. I did this because I found with a handle attached, the files were very unwieldy for me to use with duff fingers on my right hand.

Also, for safety, I turn the file around, and hold the file end between finger tips, and come from underneath the job rather than from the top. So if my fingers lose grip, or the file digs in, the file ends up being thrown away from me into the backsplash rather than towards me.

For doing any major reshaping with a file, where I have to work from the top of the piece, I invariably always try to use my collet chuck to hold the part, it is a lot safer than trying to keep your knuckles away from those spinning jaws.

John

I must have missed all the earlier action, ###### LOL

When I bought my first lathe 24+ years ago, my brother who is a machinist by trade, along other things showed me how to use a file in a lathe. It was only when I found out about computers, internet and these type of forums 6-8 years ago, that I heard people saying it was dangerous and some even saying not to do it at all.

Many things in the work shop are dangerous and filing on the lathe is one of them, you just need to use common sense. In all these years I have never had a problem and never been hurt.
For what reason I don't know, but from day 1 I find when I pick up a file to use on the lathe I clear my head and get into a different frame of mind like a fresh start. As I said I am not sure why but always seem to do it. It is also a good idea to look at where the file will go if you do have a problem, and make sure your not going to be in the way.

As for not filing or using emery on the lathe I do but keep the ways covered the best i can without going over board. I have found after I fitted way covers a few years back to my 12x36 lathe, I don't have to cover as much (if any) and clean up is quicker and easier as well. A couple of people have told me they copied this idea and also agree about it saving swarf and grit getting on the ways. The lead screw guard also keeps anything off it as well.
Picture167Medium.jpg

Dave

EDIT
I forgot to mention no holes are needed to be drilled in your lathe to add these covers. The tray under the chuck is drop it, the lead screw guard had 2 holes in the gap piece under the bog where they fit the rack for left hand carriage wheels, and the cover attached to the carriage mounts off 2 screws from the way wipers which stay in place as well.

Picture167Medium.jpg

Picture167Medium.jpg

author=Mayhem link=topic=2547.msg17582#msg17582 date=1309173228

A while back, I posted to one forum here in Australia to see if anyone would be willing for me come to their home shop and learn the basics (for a fee). No takers!

Hi
I remember you asking and thought you got help, sorry to hear about that no one helped out. I expected someone over their to step up and invited you around.

I have invited people into my shop for the day or a few hours, depending where they had to drive from. I have also had guys here that wanted to buy a lathe like mine and I offered for them to come and use mine to try it out first. If you lived this side of Oz you would have been welcome to free info just like the others.
I would rather help someone out to get in the hobby, than them trying to do it the wrong way themselves, get disheartened and give up.

Dave

Back