Vactra #2 Way Oil Stain

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Are these stains from Vactra #2 or is it from corrosion? I have not been in my shop for a while until last night. I removed the tarp and the ways were covered with this dry brown muck. The muck readily wiped off with some WD40 but left behind this stain. In an effort to protect my lathe I slathered the ways with Vactra #2 before covering it with a tarp. Any thoughts on this? As you can imagine this is rather upsetting. My lathe lives in my unfinished basement shop so kinda damp etc.

Should I use scotch bright? What about steel wool? I tried a little section behind the tail stock with scotch bright. It works with some rubbing but, I thought I better see what you guys think.

--Chip

IMG_2538.JPGIMG_2539.JPG

I woudn't use anything abrasive, were it me. Scotchbrite in the very light (white) grade might not be bad - or a copper pot scrubber or the like.

What that looks like to my eye is a bit of corrosion that was starting. Methinks the Vactra didn;t stay in place. If you need to re-cover and leave the machines inactive I'd recommend Boeshield or LPS2 or 3.

Just my two penn'orth... -Alan

Do, you use a water soluble cutting fluid, if so that might be the cause of your problem, I have seen it do this on surfaces that are only used intermittently.It seems to somehow get under the oil, and float it off. You need to use a water displacing fluid, that also leaves an oily film something better than wd40. I personally use and recommend Inox MX3.

It's more likely that the stain is from the dampish basement environment. I use Vactra in my shop on the ways and don't notice any
staining. It's pretty dry in my shop though. Maybe some kind of heavier cosmoline like stuff would work for you. Also, it is possible
that a tarp will hold moisture under it, something for you to think about I guess...:rolleyes:

I also use Vactra #2 on 2 lathes, a horizontal mill, a vertical mill, a shaper, and a surface grinder. All the ways are bright and shinny. The oldest lathe has been in the shop nearly 20 years However the basement is DRY. I also built a 20 to hydraulic press and put it in the basement shop over 20 years ago. I never painted it so the cuts are still exposed raw steel. They are still as bright and shinny as the day I built it. There are no signs of rust or corrosion on any of the machines or stock in the racks.

It's more likely that the stain is from the dampish basement environment. I use Vactra in my shop on the ways and don't notice any
staining. It's pretty dry in my shop though. Maybe some kind of heavier cosmoline like stuff would work for you. Also, it is possible
that a tarp will hold moisture under it, something for you to think about I guess...:rolleyes:

I second that

In my opinion, after watching the ways of my new lathe and mill slowly acreete stains, even after slathering them in oil almost constantly, is that::

That's just what happens with <hardened> Iron ways.

Under no circumstances should you use steel wool anywhere near your lathe. The little bits of it will get everywhere including places
where they really don't belong. Another thing to keep in mind is that WD40 can stain or corrode things because it's acidic. If your
basement is at all damp, I wouldn't put a tarp over the lathe either.

Last edited:
Buy 2 machines, one to use and one to admire, the one that is never used will remain pristine and unstained for all time.
The same strategy applies to measuring tools, if unused and kept in the original packaging they will never become worn or used and may be sold as "in new condition" at a later date.
Under no circumstances ever use a tool for its intended purpose as it will become used, discolored, scratched, oily, have an unpleasant odor, and be covered in chips. This you can not live with I suspect.

Unfortunately it may be too late for me to subscribe to your theory of preservation. While I do have 2 lathes they were long out of the package by the time I purchased them. One package was originally opened in 1916 and the other in 1960. They both have scratches and worn paint, but even given those faults I'll bet I could still sell them for more than I paid for them.

As for other machines I only have 1 of each, and as unfortunate as it may sound they too have scratches and worn paint. I tried purchasing a second vertical mill, but when push came to shove I decided it would be more comfortable sleeping in the heated bedroom than the garage or the shop.

What stain?
Looks kinda like age-spots to me.
You oughta see the 'stainage' on my Logan and on my Birmingham, makes the picture above look positively virgin.

Back