Vactra #2 Way Oil Stain

Maybe this is a good time to reread site rule #6:
DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Chest-thumping is frowned upon. The goal here is to help others, not show how smart you are. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.

No arrogance intended, a numismatist is someone that collects coins, often they do not ever use them but buy them in the new condition and display them in a controlled environment so that they never show signs of use or age, a philatelist collects stamps the same way. Some buy other memorabilia just to have it yet not to actually use. I have an aquaintance that collects measuring tools such a micrometers, steel rules, gauges, vernier calipers and so on, his favorite is a 1924 Starrett micrometer that was never removed from its original packaging, it is in perfect shape and has never been used as a tool.

He recently went to a vintage machine tool show and bought a wiggler just to have one, it will never be used, get oil or other stains/scratches on it. It remains unblemished in all ways.

Chip... If your tarp is waterproof canvas or plastic it can trap moisture under it which will eventually condense on to your metalwork. If you cover it to protect from sawdust and other airborne particles, use an old bed sheet, which will allow moisture to escape. That will help on one front.

Under no circumstances should you ever have 'brown goop' on your ways. If there are marks left under the 'goop' then the goop has moisture in it. Moisture will kill your ways.

I too, use Vactra #2 on ways and have never seen the problem on ways, but have seen staining under and between two way surfaces that smells of sulfur; cause? don't know, my shop has rust problems after rains with high humidity and cold machinery, machine handles, tables, chucks, etc. I have several very oily rags around the shop and try to remember to wipe surfaces down before heavy rains, it does help.
I am an tool collector too, but I do use most of them!

Maybe this is a good time to reread site rule #6:
DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Chest-thumping is frowned upon. The goal here is to help others, not show how smart you are. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.
How is explaining to another user the single proven method of maintaining a machine without wear or visible signs of use bullying?

I haven't been using my Logan as much as I should have been.
Here's the marks from under the saddle when I moved it tonight.
And that's with a liberal coating of ISO86 on the ways. Moisture must have gotten trap under the carriage.
In the battle of corrosion and rust, I am losing the battle.
I'm using a blanket to cover it now, we'll see how that works.

1215181848.jpg

Chip... If your tarp is waterproof canvas or plastic it can trap moisture under it which will eventually condense on to your metalwork. If you cover it to protect from sawdust and other airborne particles, use an old bed sheet, which will allow moisture to escape. That will help on one front.
Second that, I find old fitted bedsheets are the best as they come with elastic edging which means they stay in place. Being Cotton they keep dust off, strange eyes from prying and breath.

This looks like staining from high sulfur cutting oil. If you have used your lathe and have used cutting oil, give the surfaces a good clean with WD40 and a clean paper towel, then re-oil. If you leave cutting oil on the machine it will stain the cast iron.

Paul.

My lathe gets spots like that on the front way between the carriage and headstock from chips coming off...

I need to bust a myth that just came up where someone said WD-40 is "acidic". That's not possible in this case. WD-40 is just a mix of base oil and straight chain hydrocarbons. No sulfur, no oxygen, no nitrogen, no water, and certainly no free protons to make it acidic.

Back