Van Norman #12 Serial# 7410 Spindle

Primitive_Pete

Registered
Registered
So I pulled the head apart and there is no safety wire on the ring gear bolts it looks like they aren't even all the same type some are all thread some are not. The cavity was full of what looked like moly grease and there was no oil in whatsoever. I examined the upper bearing and it seem to be in great shape. The lower bearing has a rough feel and there is a slight score on the cup and the rollers it looks like some little bit o crap got stuck in there and light scored the surfaces. I am gonna replace the lower set and my Question is:

How do I get the dad gum race outta the head? :cower: It seems like there is no way to get that puppy out without some special fixture? Am I missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time)

Run a nice fat arc weld bead (stick, MIG or TIG) around the inside of the roller track of the cup. Wait for it to cool then use a strong magnet to just lift it out. The shinking weld will reduce the cup in diameter sufficiently to loose all contact with the housing its in. Do make sure that any splatter is prevented from contaminating the spindle houseing and don't set any grease on fire :)
Works every time.

Thanks Joe! I'll tackle that one next week. Meanwhile I will order the bearing set. Which won't be cheap yikes!:eek:

Last edited:
See if there isn't a spot on the back where you can get a punch against the back side of the race. Often they provide several recesses for this purpose. You'll need a long drift to reach through the spindle from the rear.

See if there isn't a spot on the back where you can get a punch against the back side of the race. Often they provide several recesses for this purpose. You'll need a long drift to reach through the spindle from the rear.
Sadly there is no relief that I can see. But given the scarcity of the replacement parts this will be the last time I will have to replace it.

Pete, any chance you could let me know what the OD of your spindle is? I don't have a VN at hand, but would like to work on designing a ring light that would fit around the spindle- haven't been able to find the measurement...

Thanks
Glenn B.

Glen Brooks,
PM me if you'd like.

Daryl
MN

There are at least 2 different od's on the spindle on the 12s. My 37 is smaller than my 41 was.

Jason

Back