Van Norman #12 Serial# 7410 Spindle

Update, Did the fat bead trick on the race, no luck. Tried a long drift, no luck no angle to get at race. Finally I took a nail set through the hole where the grease fitting threads into and was able to use the taper of the nail set to move the race upward a few mm. I then took a long screwdriver and wedged it around the race until I had enough of a gap to get a puller under the race. Eventually I was able to pull the damn thing out and I had to then fix the nicks I had in the bottom of the raceway (I used my hand scraper_) Anyway got the thing out and the new race in. The spindle is back in the cutter head and I have the gear on and the axial play set to .0008 for the time being while I do the run in of the new bearing and set the mesh on the pinion. Pressed in the new seal as well. I will post pictures soon I promise.

Last edited:
Run a nice fat arc weld bead (stick, MIG or TIG) around the inside of the roller track of the cup. Wait for it to cool then use a strong magnet to just lift it out. The shinking weld will reduce the cup in diameter sufficiently to loose all contact with the housing its in. Do make sure that any splatter is prevented from contaminating the spindle houseing and don't set any grease on fire :)
Works every time.
I use this on motorcycles to get steering head races out of the frame stem.

80s to early 90s Yamaha's are particularly bad as it seems they never leave you a way to get on the bearing race. It's always flush to the tube in its recess. I swear I don't know what they were thinking.

A couple short beads and the races just drop right out every time. No hammering, no cursing, no messed up stem cups.

:)

Back