[4]

Variable Speed Atlas 6" lathe progress

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I thought it would be nice for others to see my Atlas 10100 6" conversion to a variable dc motor. I am starting with a MC 60 controller and a 2 hp dc motor. Here is a sneak peak of the control panel.I really do not want to compromise the original casting so i will probably just velcro the control box. The new control box will have the ability to do forward and reverse. The tach will show spindle speed.

Attachments

markba633csi

2 hp is way overkill, are you going to be making prop shafts for ships on that thing? LOL
I'm using a 1/3 hp dc motor on mine with KB controller; plenty of torque
mark
DSCN0185.JPG

minsk

2 hp is way overkill, are you going to be making prop shafts for ships on that thing? LOL
mark
a 2hp tready motor is actually like 1 hp. prop shafts...hmmmmm will the fit between centers :)

minsk

mark
where did you find a 1/3 dc motor?

markba633csi

Surplus, a lucky find. Servo motor of some kind- 4 brushes
You don't need to mount the control on the lathe itself- I put mine behind a panel underneath the bench in a handy spot
DSCN0187.JPG

Last edited:

minsk

Surplus, a lucky find. Servo motor of some kind- 4 brushes
You don't need to mount the control on the lathe itself- I put mine behind a panel underneath the bench in a handy spot
View attachment 286056
im actually making my st up portable.

my set is based of a 20x20 aluminum extrusion frame...grab and go if i need to

matthewsx

Registered
Velcro....

I just hooked up an Allen Bradley switch that I had laying around to the TECO VFD I'm using on my Seneca Falls lathe. The box already had velcro on the back so I picked up some of that fancy outdoor 15lb rated velcro from the hardware store and stuck it right on the gearbox cover. Not that I'm worried about keeping the lathe original, it just seemed easy and puts the switch right where I need it. I'm using a 1hp Baldor 3 phase motor and so far I'm very happy with the results. I don't need to make it reverse though since I already have a gearbox that does that. Will post pictures soon. Surplus store? My how I miss living in the SF Bay area with all those great ones.

Cheers,

John

minsk

i find running the motor backwards is easier for cutting off parts..

markba633csi

We just lost Halted specialties (where I got the motor), the last of the good surplus places. Wozniak and Jobs used to shop there.
mark

minsk

Got the speed sensor all hooked up for the 10100. 3d printed bracket designed in fusion360. Will put the model on my thingiverse page if any others would like so use it in their build. works awesome...just have to to figure out how to wire the tach onto the mc-60 board now.286848

Last edited by a moderator:

markba633csi

There's two choices when you attach files: thumbnail and full size

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I switched it to full size.

mattthemuppet2

Got the speed sensor all hooked up for the 10100. 3d printed bracket designed in fusion360. Will put the model on my thingiverse page if any others would like so use it in their build. works awesome...just have to to figure out how to wire the tach onto the mc-60 board now.View attachment 286848
cool bracket and build, but I'd suggest putting the tach pickup on the spindle so you can read actual spindle speed. Otherwise changing pulley ratios or using the back gear will result in a different spindle speed (what you care about really) for the same motor speed. I simply 5-min epoxied a magnet to my pick up and stuck it next to the outer spindle bearing, with another magnet on the spacer between the gear and rear bearing.

as for motor power, I can slow down my 1hp treadmill motor on my 618 with heavy cuts, though the crappy link belt will slip shortly after. The MC60 controller doesn't have as fine a response to load as a VFD would. Plus using a wide range of motor speeds to get the most of the variable speed, will considerably change the power the motor is putting out (less as speed drops)

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I would probably use an eddy current sensor on the bull gear. 62X the resolution.

minsk

Finally Got all the electronics working correctly...the wall wart psu and block terminal were key in getting the tach to work nicely.

minsk

I would probably use an eddy current sensor on the bull gear. 62X the resolution.
hmm eddy current sensor...never heard of that.

minsk

cool bracket and build, but I'd suggest putting the tach pickup on the spindle so you can read actual spindle speed. Otherwise changing pulley ratios or using the back gear will result in a different spindle speed (what you care about really) for the same motor speed. I simply 5-min epoxied a magnet to my pick up and stuck it next to the outer spindle bearing, with another magnet on the spacer between the gear and rear bearing.

as for motor power, I can slow down my 1hp treadmill motor on my 618 with heavy cuts, though the crappy link belt will slip shortly after. The MC60 controller doesn't have as fine a response to load as a VFD would. Plus using a wide range of motor speeds to get the most of the variable speed, will considerably change the power the motor is putting out (less as speed drops)
im curious what the real speed diff is... perhaps ill do a test.

mattthemuppet2

you can work it out using the pulley ratios (or back gear ratio, whatever that is). A 2:1 pulley reduction with a 4000rpm motor at full speed = 2000rpm at the spindle. A 10:1 reduction at the same motor speed = 400rpm. Seems like an odd workaround when you can simply put the tach pickup on the spindle and read the speed directly.

minsk

i didnt want to tap the chassis at all. im still designing. :)

mattthemuppet2

no need to, I simply epoxied a magnet to the tach pickup and that attaches to the rear bearing cover.

mattthemuppet2

here you go

it was meant to be temporary while I made a bracket. That was 3 or 4 years ago now :)

minsk

ahhhh. hmm my spindle set up is diff...i think ill revisit my setup. i can still 3d print a front spindle holder :p

thanx matt!

mattthemuppet2

that's true, I forgot that you had a Mk2. I've no doubt you'll be able to come up with something!

[6]
[5] [7]