Vernacular Units?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Most times I can guess what is meant. Very common ones I know (thous). Others are a mystery. Some are (I think) Canadian or Navajo. Some overlap.

thous
tads
mils (overlap! Apparently mills = thous and also mils = short for mm in places Imperial)
smidge
skooch
country mile
tenths
microns
gnat's knackers
skitchens
poofteenths
barns (as in "barn doors")
chains
bee's dicks
skosh
K's (Australia)
Umpteenth = just enough to be irritating.
Gadzillions = a tad more than Michael Jacksons back catalog.

?? Yeah!

Last edited:
Smidgen or smidge was popular on the east coast of US.
or "just a rat hair"
or "just shy of a sixteenth"
or a dog's age, as in "I haven't seen you in a dog's age."

Grandad’s property was measured in chains and links. Another lot was in rods and bars. Was a head scratcher for me as a lad, until dad explained it.
At work, I don’t like “mils”, it shows the age of the user. Imperial vs metric and the confusion that shows up when looking over the supplied drawings.

A weak sixteenth vs. a strong sixteenth (suitable for construction and putting work on the band saw)

quince pugalas y quarto

Thirteen and a half hands to the shoulder

A big summbish (used for fishing) followed by summbody find that gaff...

Grandad’s property was measured in chains and links. Another lot was in rods and bars. Was a head scratcher for me as a lad, until dad explained it.
At work, I don’t like “mils”, it shows the age of the user. Imperial vs metric and the confusion that shows up when looking over the supplied drawings.
Agreed on mils!
In UK, the distance between the points on the handles of surveyor's a chain is 22 yards.
It ended up at 22 yards because that was 100 links in Gunter's chain. So 66ft.
Conveniently used for the length of a cricket pitch.

The furlong, 220 yards, or an eighth of a mile x 1 chain, yields the area 1 acre.
I just didn't know these, (because of hectares at school).

We had feet and inches, but also metres and centimetres, which were eventually the more prevalent.

Back