Vernacular Units?

My tolerance these days are +/- half a broom stick . And we have large brooms ! :big grin:

I have no problems with any of these superb units of measurements but would really love to have a conversion chart for when I'm in different company.
I believe three tads = one smidgen and 5 smidgens = a bee's dick.

i would break some rules too so better not go there unless you want to be banned
Yup - when it comes to freely derived workshop expressions, there is no question that it steps out past the threshold of living room politeness!
:)

That's just for benign stuff like fine units divisions. The contents of "The Whacked Thumb Handbook", and certain other situation guides are probably in a Twitter exclusion list!

Grandad’s property was measured in chains and links. Another lot was in rods and bars. Was a head scratcher for me as a lad, until dad explained it.
At work, I don’t like “mils”, it shows the age of the user. Imperial vs metric and the confusion that shows up when looking over the supplied drawings.
A chain is 66 ft long composed of 100 links. There are 4 rods to a chain. 80 chains to the mile. A rods was also called a perch ore a pole. 10 square chains was 1 acre.
The Gunter's chain and statute mile date to Queen Elisabeth I.

Back