Very small HSS tooling

timsch

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a random assortment of HSS lathe tooling off of Ebay for my G4015Z. A number of them are much shorter than I can see being able to use in my tool holder since I won't be able to secure them with more than one of the hold-down screws.

Any idea on how ones this short can be used?IMG_20220517_095120966.jpgIMG_20220517_095120966.jpg

Too short to be useful. You can sell them to a recycler ... Better than dumping them.

Like brino said , they are for the boring bars he pictured and are easily made if you didn't want to buy them . :encourage:

I'm all for using them for boring bars. How are they easily made?

I'm all for using them for boring bars. How are they easily made?
The bars ? Just run an end mill thru the end of a shaft at whatever angle you want . Mill a small flat on top and drill and tap for set screws . If you want to get fancy , you can put an end cap on it , waste of time in my book , but you can . :)

The old-style Armstrong type of holder could use pretty short stubs as well. I got quite a few with my lathe and that was the only tool holding system that came with it. Edit: Lantern holder — that’s the word I was looking for!

Mill a seat/step in a piece of 1/2 or 5/8 key stock then you silver solder a piece of high speed steel to the key stock and use for turning in the lathe.

I have quite a few pieces like that. All made for the aforementioned boring bar. Many were ground to very specialized shapes. Sometimes I find just the thing for a task that pops up.

Back