Very small HSS tooling

The bars ? Just run an end mill thru the end of a shaft at whatever angle you want . Mill a small flat on top and drill and tap for set screws . If you want to get fancy , you can put an end cap on it , waste of time in my book , but you can .

........or even fancier, drill the hole for the tool bit and file it square with a small file. Set screw is the same.

For the ones with the tool-bit at 90 degrees, the set screw can be thru the end of the bar.

The kind with the tool bit at 45 degrees are great for boring a flat-bottomed hole.

Brian

The old-style Armstrong type of holder could use pretty short stubs as well. I got quite a few with my lathe and that was the only tool holding system that came with it. Edit: Lantern holder — that’s the word I was looking for!

That is what I was thinking, might be useful for a shaper too.

I looked at some of the Armstrong holders, but they are too large to fit into my 4-way tool holder, which can take up to a 5/8" holder. I'll go the route of either milling a slot or drilling a hole and then squaring it with a file into some key stock. Squaring would be best for hold, but I'll have to see how well the filing goes. A slot in the end seems easiest, but have doubts about how well a single set screw would hold the bit. I'm new to machining, so have alot to learn. thanks for all the replies.

You put 2 set screws on the holder . :encourage:

You put 2 set screws on the holder . :encourage:
I will when possible, but I'd imagined slots like shown in the 2nd post of this thread, where there's not room for 2. If I run the slot lengthwise down some 5/8" key stock, then I'd have room for 2.

I will when possible, but I'd imagined slots like shown in the 2nd post of this thread, where there's not room for 2. If I run the slot lengthwise down some 5/8" key stock, then I'd have room for 2.
Plenty of room for 2 set screws . I think I have 3/8 bars I made up with two . ;)

I can get pics next time down the dungeon . I think you should just buy the bars ! :grin: I have plenty of them .

Back