Vevor 250 x 750 Lathe Upgrades

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
Phase I: DRO
Installing the Digital Readout was a bit of a challenge. Space was tight, and I had to re-do some of the parts.

Last edited:
Phase II: Motor
They were supposed to ship me a lathe with an 1100 Watt motor, but they sent one with a 750 Watt motor by mistake. Rather than ship the entire system back, they refunded me the cost of a 1200 Watt motor. The original was a higher speed brushed DC motor, but the new one is a 3000RPM brushless motor.

The original design employed a 3 position idler cone pulley and a 2 position cone pulley on the spindle, using tiny V-belts to allow for two spindle speed ranges. V-belts (especially ones this tiny) can tend to slip and one of them shredded itself within a few hours of operation. The new motor should allow the lathe to operate across a wider speed rage (3000RPM vs. 1250 / 2500 RPM) with higher torque, without the need for belt changes. The original idler bracket was poorly made, with a very sloppy fit and poor registration.

In addition, I changed the V-belt pulleys out for timing belt pulleys, which should prevent slipping. If the torque turns out to be too low at the low and high ranges, I will change out the motor pulley to one with fewer teeth.

In order to maintain tension on the belt, I designed an idler pulley with a threaded rod adjustment. This is an idler only, not a transmission gear.

Here are photos of the original design, which employed a 4mm steel motor mount:

1630916619758.png

1630916744674.png

1630916930825.png

Last edited:
Looks like nice work to me! I see you have changed the drive for the spindle also, any details?

Back