Vevor 7x14 lathe

61zmoguy

Registered
Registered
I got my lathe about a week ago. Been spending time with cleanup and adjustments. A few items for anyone looking at buying this lathe.
1. The documentation is useless. No parts diagram as they are listed on pages 9 and 10. Booklet stops on page 8.
2. The rear splash pan is so close the tailstock lever cannot be released. I spaced mine off 2 inches.
3. The cross slide and compound crank handles were bent. I turned a half inch square nylon handle for each one.
4. The plastic chuck guard would hit the headstock casting. I spaced it off to clear the casting.
5. The gear drive cover did not clear the control panel and did not have a relief cut for the speed sensor. A little trimming and a notch fixed the problem.
6. The lathe was secured to the shipping crate with 2 very bent bolts.
7. Modified the tailstock lock plate.
8. The cross slide bolts had fallen out of the back plate. The cross slide was flopping around. I adjusted the plates. I'm thinking about adding some shims
under the plates instead of the grub screws.
9. Shimmed the cross slide feed screw to remove the backlash.
10. The compound adjustment seems to be dead on.
11. Spindle plate has zero runout on the face and side.

Overall I think I got a good lathe. My biggest issue is the total lack of any documentation on the lathe. I could not find anything online. This is my first lathe
so I have a learning curve to keep me busy. I have turned a small tapered stinger for a beaded scorpion that came out great. Much better than a drill press
and file.

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_164849164.jpg
    IMG_20211115_164849164.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 353
Mine is 8X14 not labeled as Vevor but all indication I can find says it probably is. I bought it used and didn't get a manual. After several days worth of exchange with Vevor rep she finally emailed it to me. Other than having a couple of pictures of lathe parts it could have been a manual for an electric toaster- nothing but safety warnings written in poor English. Sounds like you are getting yours sorted out- my tail stock was horribly misaligned.

Mine is 8X14 not labeled as Vevor but all indication I can find says it probably is. I bought it used and didn't get a manual. After several days worth of exchange with Vevor rep she finally emailed it to me. Other than having a couple of pictures of lathe parts it could have been a manual for an electric toaster- nothing but safety warnings written in poor English. Sounds like you are getting yours sorted out- my tail stock was horribly misaligned.
My tailstock sits a an angle but lines up dead center.

Other than being positioned to the right of the chuck nothing about mine was right. I couldn't even center drill a piece of CR with it. Turns out it was rocking on a high spot between the lower and upper portions of it and my center drill would just skate around on the face of the stock. Someone else said it and I concur- these lathes are like the old muzzle loader kits we used to buy. You get a piece of wood and a couple of hunks of metal and if you are ambitious you can build a gun that shoots most of the time. With these you get most of the parts of a lathe- the rest is up to you. Kind of satisfying though when you make it work and start making parts.

Other than being positioned to the right of the chuck nothing about mine was right. I couldn't even center drill a piece of CR with it. Turns out it was rocking on a high spot between the lower and upper portions of it and my center drill would just skate around on the face of the stock. Someone else said it and I concur- these lathes are like the old muzzle loader kits we used to buy. You get a piece of wood and a couple of hunks of metal and if you are ambitious you can build a gun that shoots most of the time. With these you get most of the parts of a lathe- the rest is up to you. Kind of satisfying though when you make it work and start making parts.
I changed the square plate on the tailstock lock with a larger plate with a offset hole. I can lock it solid now.

Yep, looks like a Sieg SC2 lathe.
Some American Sellers, Like littlemachineshop dot com sell the same model, which they have exerted additional quality control on. You get a running machine out of the crate with them.

Attachments

• lathe on stone base image scaled.jpg
    lathe on stone base image scaled.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 271
did you have to pay extra to get the kinked up chart on the front?

I think I would avoid vevor.

edit: I was spouting off, if I knew what I was getting into, I might by a vevor, it's price vs what I want to use it for, and how often. many chineese tools are kits. so if I were cash strapped and needed something rarely I would consider putting the time in.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like a Sieg SC2 lathe.
Some American Sellers, Like littlemachineshop dot com sell the same model, which they have exerted additional quality control on. You get a running machine out of the crate with them.
I found this link. https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Mini_Lathe.html

I think that any part that does not meet standards is used on the unbranded lathe and sold at a discount.

I found this link. https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Mini_Lathe.html

I think that any part that does not meet standards is used on the unbranded lathe and sold at a discount.
And the standard is quite low.

How many people buy these things, try to use them and just push the whole mess to the back of the garage? At least there are resources like this one that will help folks get the machine up and working. I know it's not practical for lots of folks but searching out a decent used machine will make for a much better experience IMHO. Older belt drive lathes, or little Craftsman/Atlas lathes are around if you're patient and usually yield better results in the long run. Since you're getting into a project anyway why not make it a worthy one?

John

Back