Vevor 7x14 lathe

And the standard is quite low.

How many people buy these things, try to use them and just push the whole mess to the back of the garage? At least there are resources like this one that will help folks get the machine up and working. I know it's not practical for lots of folks but searching out a decent used machine will make for a much better experience IMHO. Older belt drive lathes, or little Craftsman/Atlas lathes are around if you're patient and usually yield better results in the long run. Since you're getting into a project anyway why not make it a worthy one?

John

I think the biggest issue with the 7x lathes is that they are quite attractive to beginners due to the cost and size. This is the group that is most needing something that works right out of the box. For somebody with at least a little experience so they have the skills to identify and correct the deficiencies they can be a pretty good deal for a small relatively portable lathe. Even more compact than the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes but potentially with similar capacity.

In that regard they are quite similar to buying used which can be a fantastic bargain if you know what you are looking at and how to fix issues, but likewise can be a nightmare to somebody just starting out. So easy to buy a basket case thinking you found a bargain.

Having now had a little time to play with one, I think the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes are highly under rated as a small lathe option. The biggest issue being that the newest are still 40 years old, and the oldest are over 80. The Atlas ones are a bit more straight forward, but there is a bit of a maze to follow regarding the options and parts for the Craftsman branded lathes sold before 1960. Then you have the confusion caused by the similarly sized but completely different 6" Craftsman lathe made by AA. Anyway wandering way off point. ;)

I think the biggest issue with the 7x lathes is that they are quite attractive to beginners due to the cost and size. This is the group that is most needing something that works right out of the box. For somebody with at least a little experience so they have the skills to identify and correct the deficiencies they can be a pretty good deal for a small relatively portable lathe. Even more compact than the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes but potentially with similar capacity.

In that regard they are quite similar to buying used which can be a fantastic bargain if you know what you are looking at and how to fix issues, but likewise can be a nightmare to somebody just starting out. So easy to buy a basket case thinking you found a bargain.

Having now had a little time to play with one, I think the Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathes are highly under rated as a small lathe option. The biggest issue being that the newest are still 40 years old, and the oldest are over 80. The Atlas ones are a bit more straight forward, but there is a bit of a maze to follow regarding the options and parts for the Craftsman branded lathes sold before 1960. Then you have the confusion caused by the similarly sized but completely different 6" Craftsman lathe made by AA. Anyway wandering way off point. ;)
This is why I purchased a small lathe. I like to tinker. My latest update was to remove the cross slide grub screws and replace them with feeler gauge plates as shims. I make metal art and will use the lathe for small parts. For a beginner I would suggest getting a Grizzly or Little Machine Shop lathe.
The documentation and support are worth it. I have downloaded 5 different manuals and still have not found one for a Vevor CJ18A lathe.

This is why I purchased a small lathe. I like to tinker. My latest update was to remove the cross slide grub screws and replace them with feeler gauge plates as shims. I make metal art and will use the lathe for small parts. For a beginner I would suggest getting a Grizzly or Little Machine Shop lathe.
The documentation and support are worth it. I have downloaded 5 different manuals and still have not found one for a Vevor CJ18A lathe.

You sound like you had some idea of what you were getting into and these can be great for someone like you who is prepared to tinker. Once they get tuned up they seem to be pretty capable for their size.

I've got several project machines because I found I kind of like fixing them up, and I have learned a lot about how things work in the process. I always have my eye out for one of the 7x lathes cheap. I don't need one but I have a small lathe addiction. I just saw one the other day only asking $70 but I didn't feel like driving 3-4 hours (x2) to go get it.

You sound like you had some idea of what you were getting into and these can be great for someone like you who is prepared to tinker. Once they get tuned up they seem to be pretty capable for their size.

I've got several project machines because I found I kind of like fixing them up, and I have learned a lot about how things work in the process. I always have my eye out for one of the 7x lathes cheap. I don't need one but I have a small lathe addiction. I just saw one the other day only asking $70 but I didn't feel like driving 3-4 hours (x2) to go get it.
I've been looking, not much in northern Montana. I have a good size shop that has 12' side walls. I have art supplies up to the rafters.
Do a google search for gizmoguyted. My dad has a 8' bench that is heading to my shop. I'm trying to get it to fit without cutting it down.

My tailstock sits a an angle but lines up dead center.
Vevor tailstocks and headstocks sit on an angle where the V-Way holds up the "V-Way side of each stock", in order that the clamping and bolting of each stock will put pressure on the V-Way, thus keeping both stocks tight and straight. The factory has precision machined both of them so that when the headstock is bolted tight, and the tailstock clamped tight, each are at the same height. At least, that is the strategy. If necessary, vertical adjustment can be achieved with an individual feeler gauge leaf. A horizontal adjustment example is the 7x12 & 7x14 of which only the tailstock can be horizontally adjusted, and not the headstock.

Back