VFD Conversion Questions

you do realize that most of your cutting is going to be about 1000rpm ?? there abouts. Except if you are cutting with very small diameter tools, then you would need the high rpms. I rarely go to my 3250rpm.. I also added a VFD recently. My lowest is not really where I want it, and neither is my high. But I have different belt combos, so that resolves most issues. I can dial what I need mostly.
Consider a stepped pulley for your needs too. Both spindle and motor. It will help when you need it. But if you need to be at 5000rpm go for it. I don't think you need it. As far as the VFD, you are undersized if you are lower than your motor's rating. I went with a bigger VFD than the motor label, the manufacturer recommended I up it to the next level.
I just resolved my problem with my lowest speed. I reversed my two leads for my potentiometer. I had them reversed, and that resolved the issue. I now get the lowest speed. I had the middle lead on the pot going to 10v, and the other going to VI.. reversed the middle to vi and the other to 10v, and problem solved. I didn't think that direction mattered on the pot. (obviously an electronic nincompoop).

I didn't think that direction mattered on the pot. (obviously an electronic nincompoop).
I don't think it does. Perhaps you fixed a bad connection in the process of reversing the wiring.

I just resolved my problem with my lowest speed. I reversed my two leads for my potentiometer. I had them reversed, and that resolved the issue. I now get the lowest speed. I had the middle lead on the pot going to 10v, and the other going to VI.. reversed the middle to vi and the other to 10v, and problem solved. I didn't think that direction mattered on the pot. (obviously an electronic nincompoop).
Direction doesn’t matter if you are using it as a 2wire variable resistor, but IIRC you had the VFD common (gnd) hooked up to the third leg, in which case it does matter.

Back